iPad Keep iPad mini retina or iPad 3 freebie?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Max Your Macs, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Max Your Macs macrumors member

Ok, possible tough decision. I just bought an iPad mini Retina 16GB a few weeks ago which is still in my return period at Best Buy along with a Logitech Folio Keyboard case that is great. I was just given an almost brand new iPad 3, retina of course 32GB and I have to say, I really like it too. A little heavier than the mini/folio combo but not by much as the folio almost doubles the weight of the mini itself. I'm thinking of returning the mini and getting almost $500 back and just using this iPad 3 until the next generation comes out, maybe later in the year. Pro's for the 3 are double the storage (32GB vs 16GB), free, plus it has Applecare+ until October. Pro's of the mini are of course the latest greatest tech (but honestly I can't see much performance difference) and smaller and lighter. The smaller screen can be a plus or minus, depending on what you need at the time too.

Just curious if anyone else has been in this position and what their decision was and why. I'm kind of liking the idea of getting a wad of cash back and 'making do' with this 3 for a while.

Thanks!

2. triple-tap macrumors 6502

I'd take the mini retina back in a heartbeat. If you can't tell a difference, save the cash for the next generation.

I had a similar situation. I bought a iPad Air cellular 64gb, but returned it when macmall had a sale on the ipad 4's. I picked up a 64gb cellular model for $489 out the door (no tax). Thus, I saved about $390 by getting the BRAND NEW-IN-BOX ipad 4.

No regrets at all. In fact, there are quite a few people on macrumors that prefer the robustness of the ipad 4 over the air.

3. Kangda macrumors member

In your situation, I would return the mini retina and enjoy the freebie iPad 3. Save the $ for the next gen mini, or until you find the iPad 3 no longer suits your needs.

4. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

5. Max Your Macs thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. As much as I love the mini, it doesn't make sense to keep it for the cost of it when the iPad 3 is so nice and also still has warranty left. I think a similar Keyboard folio would make this a perfect machine for a while and you can't beat the price.

6. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

The key question is which you prefer. The particulars are just confusing things. Assuming the 3 doesn't come with strings, think of them as two devices, both of which can be exchanged for cash. So for example, you could sell the 3 and help fund the mini. Take turns putting them into a drawer and see which you miss more.

7. Pumapayam macrumors member

Pumapayam

Cosigns

8. Rodster macrumors 68040

Free is always good and we are about 6 months into the current life cycle. Rumors should start regarding the next refresh including iOS 8.

9. Max Your Macs thread starter macrumors member

Well I returned the mini today and bought a Belkin Qode keyboard case for the iPad 3 to use as my road warrior until we hear what's up for the next gen iPads. I uses I'm like everyone else hoping for more RAM in the next version and whatever else they come up with. I have been using this 3 all day and honestly, it runs 99.9% as well as the mini did in terms of speed and the screen is actually a little better for colors and saturation. I don't mind the little extra weight as I don't see it as a struggle for a little less than a pound more to lift. I did some side-by-side testing with the mini retina before I took it back and again, the speed difference is almost nonexistent with just a slight bump to Safari and a few apps launching but we are talking a second or less.

Nice to have the cash back in the bank!

10. Kendo macrumors 68000

The 3 is too slow. I owned one for 17 months and was so relieved when I sold it. Webpages would stutter on it.

I would try and sell the 3 and use the money to offset a newer model iPad purchase.

11. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

You can't beat free. I'd return the Mini and wait to see what Apple brings to the table this year. If you change your mind later, you can always buy another.

12. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

You did the right thing. I am going to ride that iPad 3 train until it no longer runs

13. Max Your Macs thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I'm with you Tiger. I have no stuttering or other issues with this 3 and it makes no sense to tie up money when I don't have to. We all know Apple will release the 'next big thing' later on and it needs to be more compelling to make me want to spend the cash.

14. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

Why not sell the 3 and getting an rMini?

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Congrats, but I think one of the major features of the mini is the form factor. Of course if you are enjoying the iPad 3, then that's a non-issue for you :)

16. thadoggfather, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014

thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

This is main reason I love my 3 to rMini leap

And a5x to a7 is appreciably faster too, but the lagging thing was always overstated in my opinion on the iPad 3 as a non-gamer 'padder' by in large (and if so, very infrequently). Especially when you jailbreak and crank up animations. Never tried iOS 7 on it though, sold my iPad 3 and wiped it from 6.1.2 jailbroken to 7.0.4 stock on the spot when I met up with the buyer locally.

17. AppleWindowsFan macrumors member

I'm jealous. To have a free iPad is pretty awesome.

18. Max Your Macs thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, it was a very generous person that passed it along from not using it much. It just didn't make sense to keep the rMini, as nice as it was, when I could return it and pocket almost $500 (with Smart Case returned too). Sure, I could have sold the 3 but what are they going for, half that? I actually am liking the larger screen again and I added a super nice keyboard case from Belkin and this combo is even more productive, easier to type on and to see than the mini. Sure, its a little bigger and about a point heavier but I think I can handle the weight, LOL. Makes all the time in the gym pay off for something at least!

19. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

Since it'll be your road warrior until the next iPad or rMini comes out, keep in mind you could still sell it in 5-6 mo. and use the cash to subsidize your upgrade. Or, you could pay it forward and donate your 3 to someone else at that time. But kudos for holding on for now, you're essentially going to upgrade to the next iPad for the same amount you paid for the iPad today. Think of it as a savings plan!

20. Kendo, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014

Kendo macrumors 68000

The original iPad 1 can't even be given away at this point because it is so obsolete. The iPad 3 with its underpowered A5X is well on its way. When the iPad Air 2 comes out, the iPad 3 will be 3 generations behind, if you wait until iPad Air 3, it will be 4 generations behind.

The way I look at it, you can sell the iPad 3 today for $250, and use it towards a new iPad Air for $250 more...or you can...

Use the iPad 3 for now until the iPad Air 2 or Air 3 comes out, spend $500 on the Air 2/3, and be lucky if you can even get $100 for the iPad 3.

The benefit of the first plan is that you can enjoy super speed right now instead of suffering for the next year or two. It is almost guaranteed that if the iPad 3 ends up supporting iOS 8, it probably can't utilize half of its features just like the iPhone 4 and iOS 7.

21. aluren macrumors 65816

I would dump the iPad 3... it's just way too heavy and slow for me. The rMini is the perfect size for my taste. I do have both and I rarely touch the iPad 3.

22. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

Keep the iPad mini retina. Still faster than ipad 3

23. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I would return the mini retina and keep the iPad 3. I personally just bought a 64GB iPad 3 with Verizon LTE for $299 on eBay a few days ago.