Keep iphone screen "ON" while in Doc?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PDACPA, Oct 11, 2008.

1. PDACPA macrumors regular

PDACPA

I have the iphone 3G with the doc on my desk and I will have it there as I work at my desk. It shuts the screen down (locks). Since it is getting charged and constant power, is there a way to have it keep the screen on?

My old Palm's used to be able to in their docks and I could leave my calendar or todo list up and visible.

Thanks

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Set Autolock to never inside the settings in the iPhone.

3. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Don't know if this works or not, but trying putting the Auto-Lock to Never. Under Settings/General.

4. PDACPA thread starter macrumors regular

PDACPA

Ok, but when I take it out of the dock, will I have to manually lock it each time? If yes, I will be pocket dialing people

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Yes, you will have to hit the lock button manually. No, you will not be "pocket dialing" people. At least, not unless you carry a spare finger inside your pocket.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Understood. WM phones and many other portable devices have separate settings for what happens if you're on outside power vs. battery. It's a sign of a mature system.

Things like this tell me that the Apple programmers don't take home the devices they develop on. (Otherwise it would've driven them crazy from the start.) I betcha the test phones in desktop docks at their work are set to never lock.

7. PDACPA thread starter macrumors regular

PDACPA

Just for the record, you do not need a finger in your pocket to do a butt dial. Leave your phone on the keypad screen and put it in a pocket and walk around. You will hear it making entries on the keypad.

I typically do the manual lock, so it might not be that big a deal.

I agree, do the Apple programers use the stuff? The problem is the way they use it is not the way people in other professions use the devices.

To me the lack of a decent TODO list with priority, due date, check off that syncs with ical and me.com is critical for most users.