keep it simple folks!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Midgiemo, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Midgiemo macrumors newbie

Hi there
    I have downloaded a couple of instructional videos that I would like to file on my expansion drive with some other (pre mac) ones. When I downloaded them I selected the expansion drive as the destination, but they don't appear to be there.
    I dragged them on to the home screen thinking I might be able to drag them over to the expansion file from there, but no luck.
    I'd be grateful if anyone can help, but I am a bear of simple brain so don't get too tecky please!
    Midgiemo

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

What format is the external? If it's NTFS, the Mac can't write to that drive. 2 solutions to that - 1: back up all the data and reformat it as ExFAT (compatible with Mac and PC for read/write operations) or as Mac OS Extended (ONLY compatible with Mac). 2: Get a 3rd-party driver that allows the Mac to write to NTFS, these cost money.

3. charlyham macrumors regular

charlyham

If you have a Seagate external drive, they have a free version of Paragon ntfs for Mac available here:
    http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/ntfs-driver-for-mac-os-master-dl/

4. Midgiemo thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Right/Ctrl Click on the drive's desktop icon, and select "Get Info". That will tell you how the drive is formatted.

6. charlyham macrumors regular

charlyham

Unless you formatted the drive for use by OSX, it is almost surely formatted NTFS which is the file system for Windows. Once you install the free Paragon NTFS driver for Mac, you will be able to read and write to the drive and any other Seagate drive you connect.

7. Midgiemo thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm so HAPPY! It has all worked beautifully. Thank you so much guys for taking the trouble to help. I'm educated and empowered, no stopping me now!