Keep iTunes from changing music folder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by email68, Dec 31, 2007.

1. email68 macrumors regular

I have all my music on a server. I have my iTunes preferences set to the server's mp3 music folder and all is fine. Until.... I open iTunes without first mounting the server drive.

When that happens, iTunes resets the music folder back to the home folder on the local hard drive.

I doubt there is a way to keep it from doing that reverting issue, if there is that would be cool.

Barring that, is there a way to make a automator action to set the music folder back to the server mp3?

I'm trying to make it easier for my wife. If there was an icon she could hit to reset the folder to the server, then open iTunes to rip her CD's, that would be great.

2. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

im a little lost but let me see if I understand

You have all your music on a server/external hard drive type setup and you've told iTunes to look for it there (so its not categorizing it by itself) but everytime the server is not connect and you click iTunes, iTunes wants to group the music in its own manor?

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

In Automator:

1a) Get Specified Server
    1b) Connect to Server

2) Launch iTunes

Then, save this as an application.

Now, whenever you want to launch iTunes you run this application instead. This will make sure the server is always mounted before iTunes is launched

4. email68 thread starter macrumors regular

That worked perfect. Thanks!