Keep iTunes Media Folder Organized

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tech198, May 19, 2015.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

I recently moved out my large collection of music from music folder... (I know i should have just dragged the whole music folder within the iTunes Media folder but i didn't)

Now, after a fresh rebuild of iTunes library and everyting on my external drive, to same time i could just drag back all my music in one big untagged folder... However, i cannot find any info as to the folder names in Finder...

Reason being, if these folder(s) are not correct ( i think 2), then iTunes would begin making another copy of all my music, rather than just process (which would be less time)

Can someone tell me the folder names inside Music folder ?

I know there is a "Unknown Artist" one and maybe an "Unknown <other one inside> however i'm not sure in which order

2. mgroot macrumors regular

mgroot

Inside the music folder I have a list of directories with the Artists names, I can't really tell you what yours would be (or I am missing something in your post)

3. jack1011 macrumors member

mgroot is right. however, if i'm understanding your problem correctly, there is an easy solution that does not require knowing the folder names.

First open iTunes settings, and make sure that "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" is enabled. Then, inside your iTunes Media folder, there should be a folder called "Automatically Add to iTunes". Just add the folders containing your music to that folder, and iTunes will process it all for you (it will not have to make copies of everything).

Let me know if I've misunderstood your problem, I'll probably be able to help you once I understand what's going on.