Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazichik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
So I currently have the late 09 MBP model, and I don't know if it will be worth spending the money on a new MBP.

I use my MBP mainly for surfing the web, iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto, Pixelmator, Handbrake, and play a couple of games like "Angry Birds", nothing graphic intense.

My MBP 09 still works like it did the day I bought it.

So, do u guys think I should upgrade or should I just keep the one I have now. Will I see any difference in speed???

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
So I currently have the late 09 MBP model, and I don't know if it will be worth spending the money on a new MBP.

I use my MBP mainly for surfing the web, iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto, Pixelmator, Handbrake, and play a couple of games like "Angry Birds", nothing graphic intense.

My MBP 09 still works like it did the day I bought it.

So, do u guys think I should upgrade or should I just keep the one I have now. Will I see any difference in speed???

save your money, upgrade your HDD. That will be more than enough.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2009
I think you answered your own question. The things you do would feel mostly the same on an '06 macbook pro. Seriously, the only thing that should persuade you to upgrade is A. your machine breaking or B. a complete redesign to the laptop, which will be next year. Just hold out : )

And yeah like the guy above me said, upgrade your HDD to 7200rpm or an SSD and/or get more ram. IF you feel you need the speed increase.

crazichik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
So performance wise, there is not a lot of difference to justify spending 2000+ dollars??

Samuriajackon

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
So performance wise, there is not a lot of difference to justify spending 2000+ dollars??

I noticed a huge performance update when encoding stuff using PavTube(Blu Ray stuff 3 hours for a 2 hour film) Handbrake no so much, still ripping a two hour commercial DVD in about 45min to 1:15 to the iPod Widescreen default settings. But nothing else you mentioned warrants a stronger processor....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.