Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rxl125

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
Newbie...
Do you keep the lens on the camera when you are done or off... I don't have a bag yet.

I know to put the lens cap on:)

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
I'm no pro, but when I'm done, I leave the last lens I used on the camera. My camera bag is big enough to not have to worry about room.

Plus, it saves 2 more chances (taking it off and putting it back on) for dust to get in the camera and on the image sensor, IMO.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
Won't hurt leaving the lens on, mine has the sigma 70-200 f2.8 on about 99% of the time, leaving the lens on the camera is ready to go if you need it pretty quick too :D

Lowepro make some nice bags ;)

BlueArctos

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2007
Plus, it saves 2 more chances (taking it off and putting it back on) for dust to get in the camera and on the image sensor, IMO.
Hear hear! Keep the lens on until you need to switch it for another. If you need to store the body without the lens for some reason, be sure to put on the body's bracket-mount cover (the lens-cover-looking-thing that protects the mirror and other internal components).

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Definitely keep it on!
Dslrs are even more sensitive to dust than their analog counterparts. A lens seals the mirror box from dust effectively. As a rule, you should only change lenses when you have to.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
If you don't need to take it off, why bother? You'd just be needlessly getting dust in the sensor and what if later on you need to get out your camera quickly and miss a picture because it has no lens on it.

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
I keep the last used lens on. It's just more convenient to have it all ready to go should I ever need to whip it out of my bag to shoot something.

Although I could see one benefit to removing my lens when using my smallest camera bag (Domke F-5XB). I could probably fit my body in there with two zoom lenses rather than just my body and the connected zoom lens.

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
Can't shoot them great shots without a lens on! The best photos I have ever seen are the ones I did not take. I keep the lens on to have a better quicker chance of getting my shot. Plus the dust is kept to a minimum.

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
With digital, I think it's not wise to remove the lens when not needed. The problems with dust are much worse than with film. So, My digital always keeps it lens on. However, I always remove the lenses from my film cameras. My hasselblad goes back in the bag fully disassembled when I get home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.