Keep Mac Mini for media center or use iMac + Apple TV?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fathergll, Dec 3, 2014.

1. fathergll macrumors 6502a

I currently have both a Retina Imac and 2012 Mac Mini. I also have my TV in the same room. I was thinking about hooking my Mac Mac Mini up to my plasma as a media center but I was thinking Apple TV and Air Play might make more sense since the iMac is in the same room.

Any thoughts on the downside of using Air Play vs having an actual Mac Mini connected via HDMI? Sound synch issues? Video quality issues?

2. WilliamG macrumors 604

Define "media center." If you have a 24p-capable TV, neither is what you want, since neither can do 24hz playback.

3. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

I'd keep the mini and use it as the media center. I think you'd get a better experience with less lag and it's a more robust solution. It could be dedicated to Plex if you wanted to.

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

A dedicated HTPC with a direct HDMI connection is always the way to go. Mac minis work great for this purpose. My mid 2010 Mac mini is currently a HTPC.

5. kave macrumors regular

I have currently put away an Boxee Box=Small Media PC and a mac mini and are using Plex Connect on my AppleTV. No 23,99z or whatever and no DTS, but I am fine with Dolby Digital.
    It's so much more convenient than using mouse and keyboard in the living room.

6. fathergll thread starter macrumors 6502a

Basically I’d like easy access of getting OSX on my plasma to play youtube videos, maybe some other MP4/AVI..etc content as well.

----------

I gotta research the Plex....would that be a better option than something like this? Basically this combines a Magic Trackpad to Apple Wireless Keyboard

http://www.amazon.com/MeshWe-Bluefi...words=apple+wireless+keyboard#customerReviews

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. iPhisch macrumors 6502

Why don't you just get a long HDMI and run it straight from your iMac and extent the display since they are in the same room?

8. fathergll thread starter macrumors 6502a

It would be annoying running the cable over to the iMac everytime I wanted to play it to my TV. I definitely wouldn't want it hooked in permanently with the cable running across the room. I have so many cables as it is and Im trying to really clean up my space.

9. iPhisch macrumors 6502

I say just get an AppleTV then. AirPlay that display over and you won't have to worry about running two computers and trying to make one keyboard run both. I have a 2010 mini which doesn't AirPlay video, so I have to run an HDMI cable through the wall to my tv in the other room. Can't wait to get my RiMac in a few weeks to finally be able to AirPlay video! I watch a lot of online streaming concerts that require a real browser. AirPlay couchtour!

10. kave macrumors regular

Yes, the Apple TV/Plex is the better choice in the living room.
    I work with computer support all day so I don't like to do any "support" when enjoying Netflix or my ripped Bluray and DVD movies.
    Further, I think Netflix on the Apple TV is a better experience than from a browser. Usually one sits a bit far away from the TV making use of mouse and keyboard harder to use as well.

11. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

The Apple remote works with Plex. Need a free Candleaire driver. There are numerous iOS remotes with dedicated setups for AV apps. Just click on the app you're using and you get full remote functionality.