Keep Mac Pro 2ghz w/ 8gb RAM or get iMac 2.8

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by errol, Jan 17, 2008.

1. errol macrumors 6502

errol

The mac pro (2.0ghz - base model of previous generation) is used primarily as a desktop publishing machine, connected to a 2407 24" Dell, with 8gb of RAM. There are 2 WD 250gb drives in a RAID 0, and a 500gb samsung spinpoint acting as a daily backup drive. Quark 7.31, Photoshop CS3, and Acrobat are the primary apps being run.

My question is this, would we see any benefit in getting a iMac 2.8 or am I just nuts? I would imagine that there might be some clock speed benefits of the 2.8, but with a 4gb max RAM limit (not to mention its laptop ram), I don't know if that's a good idea. FW800 might be an okay alternative but is obviously not as fast as internal SATA for backups, etc.

I heard benchmarks of the Mac Pro 2ghz are pretty bad, but I would hope that the RAM and the RAID would help.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I'd stick with the Mac Pro - the iMac is a great machine, but it's not going to be enough faster to be worth the effort of swapping, and the MP is far more expandable.

3. errol thread starter macrumors 6502

errol

Swapping isn't too bad with Migrate Assistant :apple:

4. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

Keep the mac pro. It sounds like you're just lusting after the iMac. In a few years you will be able to upgrade the mac pro beyond the iMac.

5. goldenlotus macrumors regular

Yeah def keep the Mac Pro. The iMac uses a laptop hardrive which is going to be a lot slower than the SATA drives you've got now.

6. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

I believe you are incorrect. The iMac is mostly laptop components for MB and Processor, but the HD is not the 2.5" variety - especially when they can give you 1Tb.
    http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html#specs

7. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

iMacs don't use laptop hard drives, but I'd still keep the MP.

8. goldenlotus macrumors regular

Okay my mistake.

9. pbkiller macrumors regular

Keep the Mac Pro. Just the fact that its more user upgradeable than the imac.... And a Dual core processor will never beat a Quad system...

Just my 2 cents...

10. errol thread starter macrumors 6502

errol

Will the highend iMac in the near future sport a quad core processor I wonder?

11. je1ani macrumors 6502

people speculate Q4 08/Q1 09