Keep MacBook Operational When the Lid is Closed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ADubin, Feb 17, 2010.

1. ADubin macrumors newbie

I just connected my 15" MacBook Pro to an external monitor and purchased a keyboard for my MacBook. I also attach a mouse to my MacBook. When I close the lid completely the MacBook stops displaying on my external monitor. Is there a system preference or something else that I can change to prevent this from happening? I'm hoping to use my MacBook as my desktop too. ADubin

2. TheStigger macrumors newbie

TheStigger

3. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

4. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

There's two possibilities. One; you can hit a key on the keyboard or external mouse to wake the computer and use it as you would a desktop. This is because the Macbook goes to sleep when you close the lid. Second; you can use a program called InsomniaX to stop the Mac from going to sleep when you close the lid, thus carrying on as before.

5. m85476585 macrumors 65816

You can remove the sleep magnet from the lid.

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    You can also download a program called Caffeine that will do roughly the same thing that InsomniaX does, but with the press of a cute little button.

7. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

The problem with insomniax is if you say don't sleep the MBP, and close the lid, the screen of the MBP won't be turned off..

What I do is connect the Cinema Display to the MBP, close the lid and click the mouse till the Cinema display switches on remaining the MBP screen turned off, then I open the lid so the MBP doesn't get hot.

Apple says something like I just said: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131

Yes, is a pain in the ass.

8. opera57 macrumors 6502

When I used to use my MBP with an external monitor when the lid is closed I used to open the lid, turn it on, then quickly close the lid again and it would output the video to the external monitor and have the laptop screen turned off. Alternatively I would shut the lid and it would wake up using a keyboard or mouse connected, although that didn't always work... :/ [​IMG]

9. ADubin thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem Solved

Ryan,

You recommendation of a hitting a key on my external keyboard when the lid down on the MBP solved my problem. Thank you very much for your quick response.

ADubin

10. vant macrumors 65816

You can turn off your MBP screen by setting the brightness to 0 when it is connected to a monitor.

11. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

If the machine is brought up from sleep with the lid open then the display will remain in play until the user changes the configuration. If you turn down the brightness all the way to zero you can still see the actual LCD is active.