Keep MacBook Pro (latest) or return and wait for next?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rawfuls, Dec 22, 2012.

1. rawfuls macrumors newbie

Let me start off by saying that this latest MacBook Pro (i7 @ 2.9GHz, 8GB DDR3), is replacing the older A1181 model which has been passed down to me from my oldest brother, it's about 6-7 years old. After the keyboard failing, I replaced it and all seems to be fine (except it definitely could use a new battery).

Anyways, I have to say I'm definitely considering returning the new Macbook Pro, using my white one for the timebeing, until the next generation comes out.

My reasoning is that I find myself not NEEDING my laptop TOO much, it's just to school and back, I have my desktop for the more intensive applications.

My questions:

1. What's the RUMORED date for the next generation
    2. What's the RUMORED features of the next generation?

I have until the 7th of January to return, so I'm deeply considering it.
    Thanks!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Check the Buyer's Guide for some info on next release date. There is no concrete evidence suggesting anything new is coming nor are those dates solid, but history tends to repeat itself. There are few rumored features but there are threads around here, easily found, that discuss next processor and such.

3. Essenar macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't expect ground breaking performance upgrades. While the introduction of Ivy Bridge will be somewhat a boost, it's not going to completely smash Sandy Bridge in performance as to completely negate the 2012 MacBooks.

However, you listed a key fact:
    You don't use your computer "that" much. I highly doubt you even need a new laptop. I would suggest maybe returning the MacBook and saving up a little at a time so when the 2013 editions roll out, you're able to invest in an "electronic package" that suits all your needs: a MacBook, an iPad, good software, a good warranty/insurance policy, some good headphones.

Use your 6-7 year old MacBook and keep a notepad open or even Stickies. Every time you notice something that hinders your uses, write it down on a Sticky. Anything you notice you would need more, add it to another Sticky. Have about 3-4 Stickies where you list things you need, things you want, things you don't like and things you'd like to try.

Eventually, you'll have a consolidated list of what you're looking for in a computing experience and it will help you make a much more educated decision.

For example:
    The extra GPU power/processing power of a 15" or upgraded 13" didn't make sense to me. What did make sense, was having a lot of accessories. I multi task a lot, play games and move around a lot. I connect a lot of devices such as a gaming mouse and keyboard when I'm gaming. I needed some extra money for other things, including an Apple TV so I just went with a classic and upgraded the components myself. The HD4000 was powerful enough for Borderlands 2 on medium settings which is the only high graphics game I play.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Next generation of Intel chips is Haswell, expected Q2/Q3 2013. Unlikely there will be anything other than minor spec bump before that. Haswell is supposed to bring more performance, especially built in gpu, and better battery life. It could be April, it could be September.

5. robvas macrumors 68030

Good point. It sounds like you don't need it, why did you drop $1,000+ on it? Buy a used one.

6. rawfuls thread starter macrumors newbie

So yes, most of my hard computing will be at home, however I love the ability to be able to use my laptop as a portable desktop during long travels.

In particular, at I got the laptop because I'll be moving away for college next year, so lots of note-taking, and portable uses.
    Sure, most of the hard stuff it'll see will be Evernote, Chrome, Word but I still want the ability to be able to replace my desktop at any given time (minus games).

I was assuming that the next generation would be revealed Q1 of 2013, and it may just be me, but I hate knowing that had I waited one or two more months, I could've had the latest and greatest.

At this point, it seems like I should just keep what I have now and let it last another 6-7 years.