keep macbook pro or get imac.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ant043, Mar 20, 2009.

1. ant043 macrumors regular

well guys

I have a decision to make over the next few days and i am looking for advice. I had a macbook pro unibody and the 24 inch led display. Yesterday i made a spur of the moment decision and bought a rev b macbook air harddrive version. So far i'm loving it. I bought it because i commute daily 80 miles to uni using a combination of trains and buses. The macbook pro was starting to weigh me down cause i have to carry a couple of textbooks aswell and it all adds up. Basicly my question is would i be better off selling the macbook pro now and buying a new imac as a desktop solution. It seems like the most logical choice cause the macbook pro is just going to be sitting on my desk from now on. If i do buy the imac i'll probably wait till snow leopard comes out. Is the base model 24 inch imac more powerful than my 2.4 ghz unibody pro ? I'm guessing yes but i see that this imac option only has the integrated nvidia 9400m. If i buy a current 24 inch imac can i connect that to the apple led display and use it as a secondary display. I would really appreciate any advice on the matter. Thanks for reading.

2. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

I suppose that it would be a better decision to sell your MBP but I wouldn't go for the base line because your going to lose the 9600 GPU and who knows what snow leopard might bring with openCL.

I'm also curious about how the GT120 stacks up against your current 9600 w/ 256mb of vram.

Your display should work just fine with the new iMacs, but looking at the tech specs, the LCD's won't be perfectly aligned because the ACD is a hair shorter. also because the ACD is LED backlit and the iMacs are not, you may get different brightness levels. (I read / saw some where that the new ACD is brighter than the iMacs LCD).

All in all I would say only sell it if your willing to spend more money to get a higher end iMac vs. trading down to less power.

3. umgoblue2008 macrumors regular

umgoblue2008

I am a graduate student, and use my macbook air as my mobile solution. I recently bought a iMac 24" and use it with my my LED ACD. the LED is about 2 inches shorter. Also, the color profiles are different, as the iMac is cooler (more blue) and the LED warmer (more red). However, it shouldn't be too big a deal, and you'll get used to it with time. I primarily have powerpoint up on one screen and MSN messenger/ichat+ safari on the other. its awesome to have dual 24" screens, go for it!

4. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Does this still happen even after you calibrate your displays?

5. ant043 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guys i really appreciate all the advice. I'm strongly thinking of selling now and then waiting for an imac update maybe in the autumn. Just out of interest do you think apple would update the imac or macbook pro to core i7 first ? I'm thinking the imac because it would be far easier to keep cool than the 1 inch thick pro. I have the base model 15 inch pro just to save confusion.