Keep Macpro or not?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ^squirrel^, Nov 25, 2007.

1. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Hi,

I've had my Macpro since Oct 2007 and i'm thinking of exchanging it.

Basically to summarize the situation, i really only use the machine for basic tasks. (Handbrake, iTunes, Word Processing, iDvd, iMovie etc). My current Macpro is a 2.66, 2gb Ram, 3 Hard drives (320gg Osx, 160gb Win XP and 160gb Spare) and X1900. I play the odd game including MS Flight Sim X, which would run a lot better if Apple released a new GPU for the Macpro.

My thinking behind this, is i don't really push my machine in the way that most MP owners do. My work require a Macpro and i have the opportunity to exchange my Macpro for a Macbook Pro 2.6 and 250gb hard drive.

In you opinions is this a wise move?

Once Xmas is out of the way, i will build a PC for gaming needs and then i wont have any issues with keeping the GPU up to date.

Just want to hear a few thoughts before i commit to this deal.

Thanks very much for your time, all comments greatly appreciated.

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

If your work requires a Mac Pro, why trade it?

Besides, video-editing is quite processor intensive, even it if is just iMovie.

3. ^squirrel^ thread starter macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

When i mean my Work requires it...... what i actually mean is the firm i work for are going to purchase a MP and they are willing to replace my MP for a MBP. My Macpro is my personal machine at home. Sorry i should have made that clear.

4. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

If you're sure you don't need it anymore why not exchange it. I'm sure you'll be happier with a macbook pro anyway.

5. ivan1234 macrumors regular

definately switch to the 17'' mbp, its the best of both worlds! :D