Keep Material Cloth Between the Screen and Keys

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Traverse, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

That material cloth item that comes between the screen and keys when you open a new MacBook do you think you should leave that in when you run in clamshell mode?

I run my rMBP in clamshell 85% of the time and I'm worried about the ant-reflective coating wearing off, but I'm worried that leaving that cloth between the screen and keys while running may not be good for the system.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe apple recommends against this, as the tolerances are so tight, there's not enough room.

If I can dig out the knowledge base article on this, I will post it

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I use a microfibre cloth between the keys and screen on my rMBP when it's turned off but I would imagine heat could cause problems if used in clamshell mode.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Here's the article as I mentioned
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203671

5. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Thank you for posting that, I wasn't aware of it.

That thread on the front page just made me somewhat nervious about my MacBook Pro's screen.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As well you should be, Tbh, though I don't know what we as MBP owners can do to prevent it. I suppose if there's a list of specific actions that re the cause, that will help, but so far I've not seen anything conclusive.

7. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

To be honest, I'm kind of tired of having to be nervous about Apple's MacBook Pros.

First there was the dGPU issues in the 2011 models which still makes me cautious about the 750M in my new systems and now the screen coating. You shouldn't have to have these fears when you have a supposed top of the line machine.