Keep MBA awake when plugged in

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by NP Hard, Apr 11, 2014.

1. NP Hard macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have a 2013 13" MBA that I'd like to keep awake when plugged in and open. At the moment it goes to sleep after a period of inactivity and there seems to be no way to stop this.

Obviously this is fine when on battery, but when I have my laptop connected to power and an external screen, I'd it to remain awake even after the display turns off so I can remain connected to Skype and IRC. If I want it to sleep, I'll put it to sleep myself. At the moment I use Caffeine to keep it awake, but I'd still like the screen to go to sleep.

My MacBook Pro running 10.8 has a slider for this but my MBA running 10.9 does not.

Anyway to get this working?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Go to :apple: --> System Preferences --> Energy Saver --> Power Adapter Tab and adjust the slider for Computer Sleep to "Never" and the Display Sleep slider to your desired timeframe.

3. damidget macrumors regular

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

5. arefbe macrumors regular

arefbe

Exactly!

6. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Keep MBA awake when plugged in

Because it's easier! No digging into system preferences and then messing with sliders. Surely just adding a hot-key to switch on the screensaver and set it as blank would work with caffeine?

7. NP Hard thread starter macrumors newbie

The point is that I don't have that slider.

However, I did just realise there's a checkbox which says "Prevent computer from sleeping when screen is off". How silly of me. :rolleyes: I guess that solves my problem!

Attached Files:

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That is different on Power Nap compatible Macs in my experience. Glad the System Preference worked for you.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod