Keep MBP 13 2010(with ssd) or Retina Macbook 12 2016?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vivek28, Jan 31, 2017.

1. vivek28 macrumors member

I have upgraded my MBP 13 2010(2.4 GHz Core2Duo) to 120gb SSD, a new battery and 8gb RAM last year. Although couldnt resist getting the Macbook 12 2016 Core M3 1.1 GHz for 920$ in Best-Buy Sale last weekend.

Now I am thinking which one to keep for me? Macbook 12 has nice screen, extra-light and has new tech. Although both can perform my daily tasks easily, I dont render videos much..but retina screen is the real worth upgrade i can see now..

Should i sell off the MBP 13 or keep the Macbook 12 ?

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Why did you buy it if you didn't want it and plan to sell it?

Keep the rMB and cast off the 13", you could sell it but it won't be worth much.

3. vivek28 thread starter macrumors member

I bought Macbook 12 for its being light and powerful. I like it better than the current gen retinaMBP too in overall form factor. Retina Screen is miles better than my current 1280*800 screen in my MBP.

My friend is ready to take my old MBP with souped up internals for 350 dollars :) Sweet deal? I worry only about macbook being upgraded in next 2 months with KabyLake but will be pricey..

4. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

IMO...From what I have read, Kaby Lake performance probably isn't going to be mind blowing over the current CPUs as much as it will be an incremental upgrade. Probably the biggest benefit will be an option for 32GB+ of RAM on the MBP (at a faster clock speed), which could easily be a $500+ upgrade, and only worthwhile for someone doing certain kinds of work. Another benefit could be battery improvements. IIRC most are predicting Kaby Lake MBPs will start mass production in the third quarter of this year. So it's possible Apple will upgrade the MacBook sooner, but it's also possible they will wait until announcing the upgraded MBPs.

However, if you think you may want a MacBook Pro 13 over your current MacBook, it is worth noting that the next 13-inch MacBook Pro is likely going to be notably less expensive than the current entry level (both non-touchbar models.) The presumed reason for this is because Apple is killing off the MacBook Air, and so they need a computer to fill the niche. The MacBook Air should see some killer deals as well as it is phased out.

But ultimately, if you like the MacBook, and are pleased with the performance, then why not keep it? It seems unlikely to me that the next MacBook is going to implement ground-breaking changes, as it's not that old of a platform and one that is very well liked. And, if you sell your older computer, you technically only spent about $600 on it.

5. vi2867 macrumors 6502

vi2867

I was on the same boat. I had a MacBook air 11.6 128gb and 8GB of ram. I sold it last year. Thinking I can survive on a iPad Pro 9.7. After a few months I missed my MacBook air. I wanted to buy a new MacBook Air, but they only sell the 13 inch model. I came across the same sale at Best Buy for a new MacBook 12 for $999.99. This is $300 off the regular price. I could not resist, and bought it. After a week of using it, I love it. Especially the small form factor with the retina screen.

6. vivek28 thread starter macrumors member

I believe you did the right thing..iPad is overrated.
    Btw hows the performance of your macbook? Does core m3 processor lags?