Keep MBP 15" & iMac 24" or XPS 1530 & MBP 15"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CajunCARTFan, Aug 13, 2008.

1. CajunCARTFan macrumors member

CajunCARTFan

I have an XPS m1530, iMac 24" w/ 8800gs, and MBP 15.4" 2.4 GHz (Penryn). I hardly use my iMac as I am on my MBP most of the time. Other than that I Windows game on it sometimes but I have also found the XPS m1530 quite capable of gaming also. My dilemma is do I keep the MBP & iMac combination or keep the MBP and the XPS. The combination of the 2 laptops to me is not a bad situation as they are both mobile. I just feel like I neglect the iMac most of the time.

2. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

if you haven't heard, and this seems quite true, there's been a report that all nVidia cards 8xxx and 9xxx are defected and will last just after your warranty expiration. if you're going to play video games in the future with a laptop, i suggest an ATI or wait for gpu's.

if you don't believe this rumor, i would go with the mbp and the XPS. it would be convenient to not boot camp and just use the XPS whenever you want to play windows games on it.

3. CajunCARTFan thread starter macrumors member

CajunCARTFan

Quite true about the rumor but this also applies to the MBP. I have used the m1530 in combination with a laptop cooler and the temps did not get to high. The Bios update from Dell to address the issue I believe causes the fan to kick in more than previous on the 1530. It is nice not having to Boot Camp to play games.