Keep MBP 2010 .... or Update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nicbrownn80, Oct 23, 2013.

  1. nicbrownn80 macrumors newbie

    Oct 23, 2013
    Hi Everyone.

    I currently have a mid 2010 MBP 13", 256 Crucial M4 SSD, 8GB Ram, 320M Graphics. I wanted to upgrade for some time now but still not sure if it's the perfect time.

    I am an application developer. I am worried that the 15" might be a little big for my taste while I am on the train. I do sometimes play some SC2 that my current laptop only runs at min settings. I run IntellJ, Jetty, Tomcat, Xcode, and VM's that enjoy eating up my memory.

    Option A) rMBP 13" 2.6Ghz, 8GB ram, 256 SSD. I want to get the 2.6Ghz b/c it will added 100Mhz to the Intel Iris 5100. Cost: 1,599.00 I am worried that this laptop might not be a huge update from my 320M.

    Option B) rMBP 15" (Early 2013) , 8GB ram, 256 SSD, GeForce GT 650M, Refurbished. Cost: 1,659.00 I am worried this laptop might be a little big. It also seems like a steal considering the new $2K laptops don't come with a detected graphics card anymore.

    Option C) Wait or anything else you guys have in mind.

    Thanks so much!!
  2. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

    Aug 20, 2013
    I'm going to answer your question without even reading your post.

    I had a 2010 17" MBP with a nice Crucial M4 512GB SSD in it. 8GB RAM. Ran great... until it was stolen.

    If it had been up to me, I would definitely have hung onto it for another year and waited for the Broadwell update--which has the potential to be a much more significant improvement than Haswell. 30% gain in efficiency, IGZO display (again, potentially), the 1080p camera which should have been included on this refresh but wasn't, etc.

    My opinion: hold out for next year, unless your current rig is really crippling you.
  3. Starfyre macrumors 68030


    Nov 7, 2010
    Keep MBP 2010. Its a great and powerful machine. Plus you've got options to upgrade your parts and battery.
  4. redmondwa macrumors newbie

    Oct 23, 2013
    Expanding question to: new 15"rMBP - or keep mid-2009 MBP

    I have a MB985LL/A 15" mid-2009
    Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
    replaced hard drive with TOSHIBA MK7559GSXP 750GB

    interested in the top configuration (1T, etc) 15" rMPR. Given what I use the laptop for common sense would be to keep what I have. That said - tempted to upgrade to a new machine. Would there be a noticeable difference with basic use / office apps / etc. Also note that I run Parallels with Windows 7 (for a few apps with no Mac option).

    Thanks much :)
  5. Freyqq macrumors 601

    Dec 13, 2004
    broadwell probably won't have nvidia graphics, so I'd go for it now if that's important to you
  6. nicbrownn80 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 23, 2013
    Yes. For a few reasons.

    A) You will be getting an SSD. This will make a huge different in boot times, opening apps ect. That being said, you can always upgrade your current laptop to an SSD but you will not get the same performance as a rMBP speeds. I don't think it would be a notable difference between a 2009 MBP with SSD to a rMBP.

    B) Do you see your CPU being totally used? Your going from 2 cores to 4. Your going to get about 400% more cpu power. You will not notice a difference UNLESS your actually going to use it. I doubt your using your CPU at 100% now.

    C) Besides all that you will notice slight different from faster ram, ect.

  7. jmdMac macrumors regular

    Feb 8, 2010
    I would hold out another 9-12 months for Broadwell. I was pretty eager to jump on the Haswell boat, but nothing has really impressed me as much as I was hoping for. So I will stick with my 2010, I put 8GB ram and and SSD in it so it still does what I need it to.

Share This Page