keep my 09 macbook pro or go PC?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bsurb, Dec 25, 2012.

1. bsurb macrumors member

i currently have a 2009 macbook pro 13 inch 4GB ram. its in perfect working condition, has a little body damage but not too much.

i picked this up super cheap from someone but im in a tough spot with $ right now but i need a computer, especially for what i do online.. always going some place with one.

i use photoshop, illustrator and a software program i use to cut vinyl lettering with. and i surf the internet 24/7. i need something very reliable and good on battery, and super quick.

IDK if i should KEEP this macbook and load windows on to it...... or sell it for like $550 and go PC.... the macbook has a small dent on the top of it but idk if i should upgrade the memory to the max and load windows 7...... it already has photoshop, illustrator and LOTS of adobe programs.

are there any PC's that are better for the $500 price range? because i do NOT want to spend anything more....

i have a $100 gift card to Staples, and im not sure if i should get anything there or not? but i seen this..

http://www.staples.com/Asus-S200E-R...p/product_101506&cmArea=CIRCULAR#desc_content

i have a 2010 dell desktop flatscreen im trying to sell in the meantime to help get some $ back from what i spend...

2. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Just a thought: you might want to post the same question on a more windows-minded forum, and average out the responses - that is, I do not know whether two different biases make the average neutral...Or useful...

RGDS,

3. bsurb thread starter macrumors member

I was hoping there was somebody who has both.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If you look at Dell's website, you can find great machines that look good too - the trick is you need to look at their business end models. They're generally more expensive(think starting around $500), but they're nice and solid little machines.

I've had mine for 18 months so far and I like it. My next machine will probably be another Vostro or a MacBook Retina, depending on what the specs/costs are like.

I would NOT go with an ultrabook if you're looking to do serious work. You end up sacrificing speed for thinness.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd install windows on it and see if it runs the applications you need with the speed you want.

You can certainly get a faster PC for $500~.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Surf 24x7 doesn't require anything heavy so that's a throwaway.

Are u finding ur photoshop session like dragging? Cutting vinyl letters doesn't sound like a heavy activity to me, but OK.

2009 machine, probly has a worn battery that needs replacing soon, so check out its charge cycles and budget for batt replacement as needed since you said good on battery.

PC, the current processors are i5 and i7 so if u can get a one with those processor on your budget AND battery to ur liking, go4rit.

7. Brettka7 macrumors regular

I had a $500 HP running Windows 7. It lasted well under 2 years, with long times between usage and had a 2 hour battery. The trackpad wouldn't work unless it was free of fingerprints. The matte plastic body scratched like no other. I had to wedge my fingers between the 2 halves and pull hard to open it. I couldn't use iTunes and Safari at the same time or the music skipped like a heavily scratched CD even through the specs said I should be able to. Maybe it's just me, but I'm never getting a low or low-mid range computer again. Boot Camp, plus a regular Intel driver, plus Trackad++, plus 16GB RAM makes my MBP perfect for me.

8. bsurb thread starter macrumors member

photoshop or nothing lags on my macbook. i just thought its a 2009, i should try and go for a 2011 or something?

the battery is actually pretty good in it. it lasts a few hours with my brightness on dim.

but all i use is the internet and the sign cut program. it doesnt take up hardly any room... i dont really use itunes because i dont have my iphone anymore.

maybe its cheaper to just buy windows 7 and load it on?

and upgrade the ram..

9. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

I have a new 13" MacBook Pro with Windows 7 Ultimate installed via Bootcamp. Windows actually runs better on this thing than it does on my Dell desktop.

Just buy a copy of Windows 7 and install it. It's a great combination.

10. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Depends on the Windows PC's spec.
    What kind of spec PC can you get for 550?

09 should be C2D so it is starting to get outdated.

11. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Keep your MacBook Pro. You are just wasting money that could go towards something else. Load Windows on it, and it'll be good to go.

12. bsurb, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012

bsurb thread starter macrumors member

yeah, i guess i can just keep it.... how much does a battery replacement usually cost?

just some small cosmetic damage on the body.... i have OCD lol -__-

whats the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit? any recommendations?

13. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You should consider 64 bit as you have a machine with the support. There is application support issues I think, but not with Adobe software for sure.

Depends on when/where you get the battery. You could probably get replacement parts for the body pretty cheaply if you're that bothered.

14. bsurb thread starter macrumors member