Keep my 2011 MBA or wait for 2012 MBA?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lolwut89, Jan 16, 2012.

1. lolwut89 macrumors member

Hey guys,
    Two days ago I got a shiny, new Macbook Air. It's very nice and I love it. However now I've been seeing that Apple will release a 2012 refresh which I can totally believe in.

From a technical standpoint, Ivy Bridge will give only modest improvements because it's going to be a tweaked Sandy Bridge. The biggest improvement will come from the HD 4000... which I don't know. I tried playing Starcraft II on my MBA and I don't necessarily like how the CPU was reading 95C.

My biggest thing is USB 3.0. I have a USB 2.0 drive and it really sucks transferring things at 25MB/s. USB 3.0 will let me transfer things at desktop SATA speeds. Might come quite in handy as a fast backup medium.

Those are my two things. That, and I don't necessarily need the MBA right now. I got it to play around with it and I go to graduate school next fall. So I will need a new laptop later down the road, just not now.

The only downside is that I applied for the barclaycard. So no more 1 year interest free loan. But this won't be a problem because whenever the MBA comes out I can save the money up for it. That and I won't have a Mac laptop :p until god knows when this year. And that I don't know when the 2012 will come out. Could be this summer or this fall methinks.

So what do you guys think?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There will pretty much always be something new 6-12 months away. The new model is still going to heat up while gaming.

3. lolwut89 thread starter macrumors member

Right. I removed SCII after that. I don't think I'll game at all on a macbook air. It is an ultraportable after all... not a gaming laptop!

4. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I would keep the laptop you have. For me it is enough regarding your needs. Transfer speed is not an issue when it is for backup purposes, it is not like you would be doing video editing or things like this.

And regarding the temperature, I agree with the poster above. Such tiny laptop will always be pretty hot...