keep my battery healthy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macsig, Nov 25, 2008.

1. macsig macrumors regular

Hello guys,
    I have to change the battery of my MBP (bought on june 07) because it has 13% of its health and it doesn't work for more than 20/25 minutes.

I would like to know if, once I will have the new one, there are some precautions I have to take in order to keep it healthy.

THANKS and HAVE A NICE DAY

2. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

you may be able to get a free one. i did and i had 14% health with 33 cycles. i got a free replacement for my june 07 mbp. either way, use it on battery as often as you can and calibrate it once a month. that's about all you can do.

3. macsig thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for your reply.
    what did you do in order to have a free replacement (I have 13% health with 10 cycles)?

What do you mean with recalibrate?

So, it is better I use it always with battery until it is without power. Currently I use it 95% of the time connected to the power.

Thanks again.

4. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

I have an old Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz, battery went dead and I asked the people at the Apple store about replacing it under warranty since I had about 6 months on my 3 year Apple care. Basically they said no-way. So I called Customer service, next day, I had a brand new battery at my house. I now have 3 Charge cycles with like 96% left. So yup, Give em a call if you have Applecare

5. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

Just as said above, it is my experience that the on-the-phone AppleCare reps are MUCH more likely to help you than a store will.

If you don't have AppleCare though, you're out of luck, unless Apple extended their warranty on those batteries specifically?

6. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

well i was calibrating my battery about twice per month, but left it plugged in 90% of the time which of course fried the battery. i called applecare after reading about the battery defects on apples page. they of course declined to replace it for me. i then took it to peach mac in my town and after about a 5 minute conversion between the tech and apple, apple agreed to replace it for free. in my opinion a battery should last longer then 13 months regardless and that is what i stressed when i took it in.
    good luck with 10 cycles though, they certainly gave me a hard time over my 30+ cycles. even if you have to pay for a replacement , at least you know now as do i on the proper battery conditioning technique.

7. macsig thread starter macrumors regular

I have just called APPLECARE and my new battery is on its way.

Thanks guys for your help. I appreciate it.

8. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

9. heron88 macrumors 6502

So its bad to always be running off of the wall? I've had my pro since september and its only been through 11 cycles. And my health is at 100%.

10. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i can only go by personal experience. i had mine 13 months and my health went from 94-96% down to 45% literally overnight and then kept going down after that. very quickly.

are you looking at your battery health or charge? i can't believe it would still be 100% health. never know though. these batteries are very quirky.

11. burnhamish macrumors member

14 months in and my battery is freaking out

I normally run off the wall, but power down often (including the power to the charger). It's been several weeks since I ran down the battery and recharged, but it all seemed normal. Just yesterday I could only go 20-30 minutes before the computer would suddenly power off, no warning (and at >80% charge).

Apple is sending me a new battery (I am still under my Applecare warranty). Should I really have been running off of battery more than off the wall all this time?