Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GanChan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
I'm "test driving" a 13" Macbook Air right now -- but who am I kidding, I know I'm gonna keep it. :D But I'm wondering whether I ought to hang onto my Samsung Chromebook for whatever reason. (Backup field unit? Casual email checker? Foul-weather laptop?) If not, I guess I could try to sell it -- but what could I hope to get for a Chromebook that cost me $299 a year ago?

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I'm "test driving" a 13" Macbook Air right now -- but who am I kidding, I know I'm gonna keep it. :D But I'm wondering whether I ought to hang onto my Samsung Chromebook for whatever reason. (Backup field unit? Casual email checker? Foul-weather laptop?) If not, I guess I could try to sell it -- but what could I hope to get for a Chromebook that cost me $299 a year ago?

You'll be lucky to get more than $100 for it, it's an old model and let's face it - the ARM Chromebooks are SLOW. Give it to a kid in need.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Sell it and use it to buy yourself some AppleCare for your Air.

There will be very cheap Chromebooks with newer hardware on eBay by the time your Air becomes a problem. And even if it's just the same model you have now, it won't be something that has been sitting in the closet for a few years and now needs a new battery and has other issues.

It otherwise wouldn't be bad for Linux.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
You can turn it into a Linux laptop. No underpowered ChromeOS, but real Linux. It makes for a great 2nd laptop.

Chrome OS is actually based on the Linux kernel, but once you've installed a full version of Linux on your Chomebook (that's running in developer mode) you can also install and run Android apps on your Chromebook, which means you can run apps such as Skype in the Chrome OS environment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.