Keep my old MBP 15' or get new MB 13'????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by krmedbr, Dec 26, 2008.

  1. krmedbr macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2008
    #1
    Hello everyone,

    I am having trouble choosing between the following:

    1. my 2 year old Macbook Pro 15' 2.33Ghz w/ 2GB 667mhz RAM (128GB HD)
    OR
    2. purchasing a new Macbook 13' 2.4Ghz w/ 4GB 1000mhz RAM (250GB HD)


    I plan to use the new 13' for emails, internet, few torrents, editing pictures from my nikon D300 and small videos from my Sony HD video camera.

    Is the new 13' with those specs the same speed wise and performance wise as my old 15' just in a smaller package? Is it a little faster/cooler?

    How will I be able to download from my HD camera without the Firewire on the 13'?

    Please give me your input and suggestions.

    Thank you and happy holidays!!
     
  2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

    DoFoT9

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Location:
    Singapore
    #2
    DEFIANTLY keep your current MBP, you will regret it.

    i would take a GPU anyday over no GPU. :)
     
  3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

    iBookG4user

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2006
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #3
    I'd upgrade the RAM to 3GB and see if it increases your speed enough for your needs, and if it doesn't go with a new MacBook. The MacBook will be a bit faster, although it won't be night and day difference, just saving a second here and a second there in photoshop.

    I'm as much a fan of the MacBook Pro as anyone, but the new MacBook has a GeForce 9400 which is a decent speed GPU.
     
  4. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

    jonbravo77

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2008
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #4
    Agree, I have the same MBP that you have, did an upgrade to a 250gb drive and put in 4gb of RAM (ya I know, but it doesn't use all 4gb). And it still works as great as the day I bought it. And it has firwire (2 ports :p)
     
  5. nope7308 macrumors 65816

    nope7308

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2008
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    #5
    Unless you NEED to upgrade your machine, I would keep the MBP. That said, the MB would be faster, but the firewire would be a problem...
     
  6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #6
    Maybe stick a 7200 drive in that puppy as well.
     
  7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

    DoFoT9

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Location:
    Singapore
    #7
    haha its amazing! i have a nice big 500gb HD in it. why on earth did you put 4gb of RAM in it? it can only support 2gb lol!

    2 FW ports?? how random.. i only have 1 :( yours must be newer?
     
  8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #8
    No, it will address 3.33 gigs of ram. Some people added 4 just to keep dual channelling on the ram.
     
  9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

    DoFoT9

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Location:
    Singapore
    #9
    a CORE DUO does not address 3.33gb of RAM, a CORE 2 DUO will.
     
  10. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

    jonbravo77

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2008
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #10
    Not sure why I put 4 gigs, but it does recognize 3 gigs. I have 1-Firewire 400 and 1-Firewire 800
     
  11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

    DoFoT9

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Location:
    Singapore
    #11
    ok lol im guessing you have a core 2 duo, i have the original core duo, without fw800.
     
  12. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

    jonbravo77

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2008
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #12
    ya, sorry. should have clarified the Core 2 Duo thing. I guess :p
     
  13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

    DoFoT9

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Location:
    Singapore
    #14
    hahahahaha yea ahwell, you got my hopes up i was thinking of getting the extra RAM! i use 2gb easily.
     
  14. krmedbr thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2008
    #15
    hey guys,

    Thank you for the quick responses. The main reason I am considering the 13" is for its size and ease with travel. If I decide to go with the 13" how will I be able to fix the firewire absence?
     
  15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

    DoFoT9

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Location:
    Singapore
    #16
    buy USB2.0 peripherals?
     
  16. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

    jonbravo77

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2008
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #17
    Unfortunately you don't. At least not yet. You can read this but a fast google search doesn't show any promise. Someone else may know more. may just want to stick with the MBP for now. I know it's bigger but if you need that firewire then that's probably the best choice.
     
  17. timestoby macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    Location:
    north devon,uk
    #18
    you might aswell keep ur pro,cause the dedicated card would be way better than the mb intergrated.im sure you want the new mb cause of the style etc,but thats upto you if you want the cosmetic over power etc.
     
  18. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

    tcphoto

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2005
    Location:
    Madison, GA
    #19
    I would upgrade the memory and hard drive in the MBP and put the old drive in an enclosure for Time Machine.
     
  19. iBookG4user macrumors 604

    iBookG4user

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2006
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #20
    The Nvidia 9400 in the MacBook is as fast as the Radeon X1600 in the MacBook Pro. Just so you know.
     
  20. Sigur macrumors regular

    Sigur

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2008
    #21
    Editing pictures is more fun if you have 15" instead of 13".
     

Share This Page