Keep my old struture in Itunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bowbow88, Mar 15, 2010.

1. bowbow88 macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I am new to itunes and mac.

I have been saving my mp3s into a good structure that I am very familiar with

Example:
    Children songs\Disney\
    Soundtracks\StarWars\
    etc.

These songs are already in a pretty good structure in my harddrive and I would like to just import them into the playlist without itunes making another copy of these music files. Is there a way in doing so?

Thanks.

2. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

Yep, it should ask you when you import them if you wish to copy them to the iTunes music folder or not; just say no.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Keep these unchecked:
    iTunes > Preferences > Advanced:
    Picture 3.jpg

4. bowbow88 thread starter macrumors newbie

that works out perfectly. Thanks both.

When I am importing new music from cd, is there a way to tell it to import to a specific directory every time?

5. mac88 macrumors 6502

Yes. If you look at the picture above your post it has a box that tells you where your music is stored. Hit change and pick the drive/location you want the music to go. Good luck! :D

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

Yes as others ave said you can do this but WHY?

I know the answer is "I understand folders, they are conceptually simple." but don't worry iTunes is not hard to learn to use. It allows for much improved organization over just using folder. Foe example a track can be in multiple "smart albums. Smart albums us rules to select tracks into themselves as you add more songs and you can put them in folders and nest the folders

The other thing is the almost everyone who posts asking for help because their iTunes library is corrupted is using refferenced files. Just don't do that and you'll be better off