Keep my pants on? Or go for it (iPhone Australia)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GalenAus, Feb 25, 2008.

  1. GalenAus macrumors newbie

    Feb 25, 2008
    Hey guys so i'm from Australia and as you know the iPhone has not been released here yet.

    So i was looking for some advice as whether to get a jailbroken iPhone that works with Aussie sims as it says Here-

    Or keep my pants on and wait till June or July (am i right) for the Aussie/3G version (hopefully there will be...) to be released here in Aus??
    Would there be much difference or something

    I would really like to know a reason behind your answer to my questions please!

    Thanks guys much appreciated,

  2. Abstract macrumors Penryn


    Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    That sounds so dodgy. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't buy one from them for $900. They give the "Smooth warranty" because they're not a licensed Apple Reseller, and so Apple's warranty won't work. They're only guaranteeing you that the software will work. Well of course it'll work. If it stops working, they reset the software and go back to the default version (v1.1.3). It's not rocket science. They're not guaranteeing you that new versions of the software will work, nor are they guaranteeing you that the phone will physically work in 4 months. They're just guaranteeing you that they know how to reinstall software. It's not their responsibility to make it up to date with the version Apple just released. They're guaranteeing you that v1.1.3 will work.
  3. Bern macrumors 68000


    Nov 10, 2004
    I would like to have an iPhone, but I'm not hacking one to use it. I'm more than happy to wait for it to be officially released here. By then they will be a new revision, be completely usable and hassle free and I wouldn't have done anything to it that might break the warranty. At the end of the day it's a phone and your life won't come to a stop waiting for it. There'll be two types when the iPhone is officially released here, those that have a hacked one and will waste a lot of money to get the latest and most compatible and those who were smart.
  4. Chundles macrumors G4


    Jul 4, 2005
    I'd wait. It's not worth the trouble to be honest.
  5. cazlar macrumors 6502

    Oct 2, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Even though I usually am all for unlocking etc, it's likely that Oz will get the phone in a few months, so if you don't feel comfortable doing all the fiddling yourself I would wait. If you do feel comfortable, by all means go for it, but with a 3G iPhone likely, I'd be hesitant to buy now either way.

    Selling for A$900 seems like a pretty nice markup though, especially with the high dollar these days. Maybe I should wander down to my nearest Apple Store and start up a mini export business back to Australia!

Share This Page