Keep my rMBP or get an Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rpearlberg, Apr 19, 2015.

1. rpearlberg macrumors 6502a

I currently have a late 2013 13" rMBP 8GB/256GB. Bought on July 31, 2014. I mainly just use it at home, sometimes take it to work, but it mostly stays on the couch with me. Not sure why, but I recently got the itch to get an 13" Air. IF I was to switch, what would be most comparable? Should I get the i5 or i7? Stick with 8GB, or would 4GB be ok?

The main use is web browsing, watching videos, etc. I use iTunes and iPhoto, but don't do any serious editing, etc. I also use it to remote in to my work machine.

2. flur macrumors 68000

Honestly, I'm not sure why you'd do this. You don't seem to have any need for a new machine. Maybe figure out why you want it first, before possibly spending money you don't need to spend.

3. doboy macrumors 68000

I don't get why you want to downgrade to an Air. To save a little weight?

4. Robeckhard macrumors member

I have the same issue. I'm not sure why I want a MBA but it just seems appealing to me. I have the 13" rMBP right now. I just don't know if I could go to the non-Retina screen.

5. Fineance macrumors member

I am in the same situation, but am considering moving to a 12" rMB. I am already in the process of looking for a buyer for my 15" upgraded Pro and my iPad Air 2.

----------

For me, it is to save weight, to have a device that doesn't weigh a bunch and is easy to transport around.

6. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

The new rMB sound like it would work for you. But going from a rMBP to the Air is a crime in my book. :D

7. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

You do know the 13" Air weighs 2.96 lb and the 13" MBP weighs 3.48 lb, right? You are, literally, saving .52lb by moving down to the Air. It isn't a huge amount of weight.

8. doboy, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015

doboy macrumors 68000

Keep my rMBP or get an Air?

At least you're going to rMB from rMBP.

9. Fineance macrumors member

Yeah, my only wish with the rMB is that it had the same physical size and battery life of the 13" air. Small trade-off for portability and the retina display.

10. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

If you want a thinner/lighter laptop and don't need the power get a Retina MacBook. The Air's display is quite a downgrade from the rMBP and the footprint is actually bigger. The Retina MacBook is also a bit lighter than the Air.

11. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I actually forgot about the retina screen so going to the Air I might be disappointed. Again, there really is no reason for me to do this, I just was using an Air the other day and got the itch to make the switch...

12. snaky69 macrumors 603

You'd notice no difference between the machines with such light usage.

13. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Keep the MBPr or if you really want a change look at the new MacBook. Once you are used to the Retina display, there`s nothing good about dropping down to a low resolution display.

Q-6

14. Hankkk macrumors regular

Serious question: Why exactly do you want to get a new device?

If you want a smaller and lighter device I wouldn't recommend the MacBook Air. As others already pointed out, the difference in weight between Air and Pro is not big at all. And the MacBook Air is even bigger than the MacBook Pro in size if you're looking at its footprint. If you carry your MacBook in a bag or backpack you will most likely not recognize a difference at all. So if you really want to go for a light device, the only plausible option is the new 12" MacBook with Retina display. Just keep in mind that your current MacBook Pro is a significantly more powerful device.

If you want a new MacBook just for the sake of buying a new MacBook you could also consider the 2015 MacBook Pro. This would also give you a boost in battery life and power. And you would also get the new Force Touch Trackpad.

15. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Especially when it lives on the couch.

Pointless to downgrade to a slower machine with a poor quality display.