iPad Keep my wifi or go for LTE?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Closingracer, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Closingracer macrumors 68040

I currently have an air 2 128gb wifi model and love it. I am thinking about getting the cellular model with 200mb of data with t-mobile . I already have 3gb of hotspot with t-mobile but thinking of getting the cellular should I need it and is free after paying $130 for the cellular model. Is it worth it ? Or stick with the wifi model ?

2. ayobonus macrumors regular

I have a 64GB Air 2 Wifi only. I didn't opt for the Cellular model because I have a 6 Plus that I can use as a hotspot with 15GB of data shared between my family. And with the 6 Plus' bigger battery, I don't see a quick drain while I'm using it as a hotspot. Yesterday on the train, I used my hotspot for about half an hour and didn't lose a percentage.

I personally don't see a reason why I would spend $130 more, and then pay an additional monthly fee for data when I already have data on my phone. It is convenient to have cellular built in though. No need to tether your phone. But that's a call you're going to have to make, my friend.

3. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68040

Convince says yes but reality says it is useless ( for me ) idk :(

4. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

A cellular iPad has never been a 'value' option. It has always been convenience at a premium. Whether the convenience of:
    built-in GPS
    always-on connectivity for emails, iMessages etc.
    the ability to hotspot from the iPad to make use of it's much larger battery
    the option to have an iPhone on one network and an iPad on another network for maximum coverage
    ...is worth the premium, is your personal call.

It is for me.

5. mi7chy macrumors 601

mi7chy

Get cellular if work is paying for it otherwise get WIFI for personal and WIFI tether to phone or use public WIFI.

6. Johnny907 macrumors 6502a

Johnny907

I've had the last three generations with cellular and it would be hard for me to go back. It's convenient, don't have to fart with toggling hotspot on and off etc. I have a 30gb family plan through AT&T, and I only pay 10 bucks a month to add an iPad to it so it's a decent deal for me. I guess it all depends on how often you use wireless data and what the monthly addition fees would be depending on your cell plan.

7. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

If you ever get an LTE model, know that there is no going back to the WiFi model.

8. mbhforum macrumors 6502a

This. While I bought my iPad, I am using a company SIM card.

9. Markiie macrumors 6502

Markiie

plus infinity and beyond.........

I had a wifi model and i would NEVER buy another again. I think if you've never had anything different than the Wifi, its easier to talk yourself out of the idea of the 130 dollar upgrade for the LTE model. I think a lot of people here bash the upgrade due to price which is fine but I'd really be curious to see how many have ever had Wifi+Cell and went back to Wifi only but for me, once you go LTE you will never, ever go back.

10. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68040

I am on t- mobile and planning on either getting the free data or $10 a month to match mine . Actually thought of going to Verizon since its offering edge 128gb and 6gb for only $85 dollars a month but it's not until the 7th of November:(

11. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Was going to write the same thing. The Plus is perfect for hotspot. Another thing is Instant Hotspot in iOS 8 makes it less of a chore.

Although those of us with a Plus are less likely to also pull out the big iPad on the go. For me it's more to be used at home for browsing on the couch, drawing, editing photos and watching a show before bed, and for work it's at meetings that already have WiFi. For travel, waiting in lines, running around campus and everything in between my Plus is perfect as I'm not doing extended reading or playing some involved AAA gaming title. But even if I was the Plus is no slouch. It's much more comfortable to read on than any iPhone before. They're just two different classes of device. If you don't have a Plus and carry your iPad with you everywhere for a variety of tasks, a Mini is probably better unless you do advanced photo and video editing or are a tab whore.

12. Maggiep67 macrumors regular

Maggiep67

I've had three previous iPads, all wifi only.

This time I opted for cellular. The convenience is important to me and with a mobile share plan it was a no brainer. With my discount the monthly plan only costs 8.30 for me. Totally worth it!!

13. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68040

I have a Samsung galaxy note 4 so all this I can't do . I do have hotspot and battery drain isn't bad at all . For an hour I lost about 3% battery.

14. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I can agree fully with this statement. A while back I took my iPad on vacation and the WiFi at the hotel was not working. trying to get connected was a pain and getting connections in other places was sometimes impossible. After returning home I looked into getting a new iPad with Cellular. I ended up getting one on AT&T's Next program. It was an iPad 4. Last week I was eligible to upgrade that one for a new iPad Air 2 which I ordered.

When I purchased my iPad mini, I got the Cellular version as well. The idea of being able to connect anywhere at anytime has been great.

15. RadioFr33Europe macrumors newbie

Why? My iPad 2 was 3G, and I used the wireless twice. I did wifi this time around. I'll hotspot to my iPhone when I need internet.

16. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Nope. I went wifi only to a cellular model and back to wifi only. Using the hotspot on the phone via Bluetooth works perfectly for me, and for many others. No extra money upfront, no additional data bill.

One size does NOT fit all. Cellular models are great for those who need them, but not everyone does, and it's silly to generalize that either cellular or wifi models are the only way to go.

17. ppfd macrumors regular

ppfd

I bought an ipad 3 cell/wifi, never used it once, cell that is.

Bought an ipad rmini wifi last year.

Now I'm seriously debating which model air 2 to get. I live in the country and cell service is pretty good around me. Most places I use the ipad have wi fi.

And I bought a bad elf GPS for the mini. So I can move the elf to the new air.

I'm going for a new phone as well, most likely a 6 plus, I'm over android. So this would bring back full circle and be able to use the phone with the pad.

Decisions, decisions!

18. ipadlvr macrumors regular

200MB? Is that like 7 minutes of Macrumors browsing?

19. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I couldn't imagine using my iPad without LTE.

20. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68040

Keep my wifi or go for LTE?

I do have hotspot but this is more for like if I need it I have it. Honestly I am thinking of getting it on Verizon since it's the cheapest for 6gb of data and edge. This way I don't pay all of $800 in one time and decent data amount

21. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

My buddy has had cellular iPad since the first one. He barely ever uses the internet but continues to pay $30 each month.

If you will actually use it consistently, I say go for it.

22. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

I used to agree – and have always had cellular iPads since the the 1st generation – but opted for WiFi-only this time. iOS 8's Instant Hotpot just makes it so easy and convenient to tether that the cellular option seemed superfluous to me this year.

If it turns out to be too much of a hassle I'll go back to cellular during the next upgrade, but for now I'm happy to pocket the $130 + $10/mo charge.

23. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68040

One of the reasons why I want an iPhone 6 plus but none in stock and needed a new phone .

24. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68040

Keep my wifi or go for LTE?

Ugh I keep Going back and forth going to the Apple Store tonight to exchange it for the lte one :(

While I wouldn't use it all the time it is nice to have should I choose to. Plus t-mobile 200mb of data is 1gb I think till end of the year

25. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

I like the ability to buy mobile data if I need it on my iPad. Plus 200mb free from tmobile is cool. Also, you can always pop the SIM from your iPhone into the iPad and use that data. Been doing that for years.