Keep new rMBP 15 Mid 2015 with dent?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stanft, Jun 18, 2015.

1. stanft macrumors member

Hi everyone,

yesterday I just got my new rMBP 15 Mid 2015 (CTO with maxed-out config). And luckily as I am I received a unit with a small dent in the bottom case. As some others have reported here it seems that the power adapter is responsible for the issue.

Anyhow, the dent is rather small (you have to look in a specific angle to see it at all), and the rMBP has no other problems at all (i.e. dead pixels). So, I am asking myself if it would be a good idea to send it back for a replacement as it will last a couple of days (CTO) and may result in other, more serious issues.

I called the phone support today to maybe just receive a new bottom plate in the Apple store but the support only offers me a complete exchange in the first 14 days. A simple replacement of the bottom plate would not be authorized by Apple as cosmetic damages are not covered by the guarantee?!

What would you do? Keep it as it is? Try to get the bottom plate replaced in the Apple store (as far as I knew it would result in a loss of the serial no engraving - is this something I have to worry of?)?

I am rather clueless what to do...

Best regards,
    Stephan

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I'd send it back and get another one myself I expect it to be delivered in perfect condition.

3. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

I'd send it back, schedule a pickup at a local store and inspect it before accepting it if you can.

4. newellj macrumors 601

"I'm sorry, sir, your MacBook shows signs of physical impact. We are not able to repair this MacBook under warranty."

Send it back...

5. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Yes, send it back. If you ever need to use your warranty, they might claim there is damage caused by the user (e.g. the dent). You're paying thousands of dollars. When they deliver the product, it must be in perfect state.

6. stanft thread starter macrumors member

Seems like everyone here is thinking the same. Anyhow, I am not sure if I should send it back. As I wrote above: The dent is really small. I have seen some pics of "power adapter" dents here in the forum, and the dent on my machine is a minor issue in comparison.

When I called the support they opened a support case and noted the fact that there is a small dent in the bottom plate - so I guess that I have some reference for (maybe) upcoming warranty problems.

Personally, I would prefer to just replace the bottom plate as I am really picky concerning the screen (color, dead pixels). And the screen on my current machine is perfect. So I fear that the screen is getting worse if I return the machine for a new one.

Concerning the bottom plate replacement: Is there any problem that I might have in the future when the bottom plate is replaced by a new one (which would fix the issue as the dent is so small that it is impossible that any inner component might have been hit)?

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

How can someone tell you if it is worth returning? If it bothers you, return it. Nobody can guarantee that a replacement will be free of presumed issues or blemishes - you know the possibilities involved.

It could be a perfectly fine machine with a simple aesthetic blemish that you'll rarely see and last you the next 5+ years. It could not be. Return it if you feel like what you spent does not meet your expectations or if it causes you worry. In other words, if you had to create a thread and ask, you're uncomfortable and should be returning it.

8. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I would send it back in a heartbeat. Apple makes us pay a premium for their hardware so I expect it to be *perfect* when I receive it. No scratches, dents, dead/stuck pixels, or any other oddities. To Apple's credit, they have always replaced the device without hesitation.

Having said that, I have only received two 'damaged' Apple notebooks in all my purchases. One had a scratch and one had a defective keyboard (the Z key would not always work).

You work hard for your money and you should get a new, undamaged product for your money.

-P

9. newellj macrumors 601

If you decide to keep it, that's a good step.

10. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

Even with the documentation I wouldn't keep it, lowers resale value, etc..

11. totten76 macrumors regular

totten76

You paid for perfection and deserve nothing less. Return/exchange it

12. Smoothie macrumors 6502

If Apple won't accomodate you by simply replacing the bottom cover, I suppose you could buy another MBP, switch the bottom covers and return the newer one which now has the dented cover.

13. stanft thread starter macrumors member

In my opinion this won't work. The serial numbers engraved on the covers would not match.

14. Smoothie macrumors 6502

You're right. Forgot to turn my MBP over and take a look.

15. thed0nut macrumors newbie

thed0nut

It's funny you say this, I too have a small dent on my new rMBP 15 Mid 2015.

16. stanft thread starter macrumors member

I read about this problem in several forums. Often, these dents appear on european models because of the bigger power plugs. The cause for the dent on my rMBP was the rather big "german" power plug, too.

Anyhow, I for myself decided to keep the rMBP. Beside the dent (which is really tiny and on the removable bottom plate) the machine is perfect: No dead pixels, no yellowish screen, etc. If I ever get into the situation that I cannot live with the dent anymore I always have the option to let the bottom cover be replaced.

As my rMBP was a CTO an exchange would have last quite some time because an replacement is not available in the local Apple stores.

17. thed0nut macrumors newbie

thed0nut

I'm almost in the same boat, but I am also experiencing flex noise on my new rMBP. So I am really unsure as to whether risking getting an imperfect display or just dealing with the creaking/flex noise and the small dent.

18. stanft thread starter macrumors member

Keeping my fingers crossed there is no flex noise on my machine. So it's just the dent. But I would be very unsure what to do if there would have been other problems, too...

19. newellj macrumors 601

Is the dent due to the power adapter striking the bottom of the computer while they're in the box during shipping? You would think Apple could do better with the packaging if that's the case.

20. stanft thread starter macrumors member

The power adapter is one possible source of dents. There are quite some pictures and posts that show dents on the bottom which correspond to the corners of the power adapter. Anyhow, on my machine the cause seems to be the power chord/power plug. The dent's position on the bottom matches exactly the position of the power plug in the packaging.