Keep Note 3 or switch to iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joemcneil, Sep 10, 2014.

1. joemcneil macrumors newbie

I am currently trying to decide whether I should buy an iPhone 6, and I was hoping the internet people could help me make my mind up. I currently own a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (I've had it for about a year now), and to be honest it's quite good, if a little big. However it does have some issues. It doesn't work too well with the rest of my gadgetry (iMac, iPad, iPod), and I have to go through a lot of effort to put my newly downloaded music on it. Films and television shows that I buy from iTunes simply cannot be put on it due to DRM protection, which is irritating because they'd look great on its 1080p display. The Note 3 just has a couple of annoying quirks that detract from the premium experience I thought I would be buying. I really like the way iCloud seamlessly works across my Apple devices, and with OS X Yosemite coming in the fall, interactions will be better than ever with continuity features, such as handoff.

Only a few things are stopping me from going ahead with this currently.
    Firstly, the iPhone 6 has a lower resolution (and crucially, lower pixels per inch) than the Note 3. Also, it only has an LCD screen. How noticeable will this be in terms of mostly watching films and general use?
    I was going to start the next point with 'secondly', but I quickly realised the Note 3 trumps the iPhone 6, on paper at least, in almost every single category. Has this always been the case with Samsung and Apple flagship phones, and which usually turns out better?
    Finally, I live in the UK so Applepay (as well as the Apple Watch) may not be over here for some time.

Do you think it is worth trading in both my iPod and Note 3 and buying an iPhone 6 when it is released? If it were you in this position, what would you do?

Thanks,

Joe

P.S. I wrote this very late at night, sorry about the incoherence.

2. cmhsam macrumors 6502

I am switching from the LG G3 to the IP6+. Going back to apple. Wife has the N3 and she too is going back.

3. ronm99 macrumors 6502

I doubt that the lower resolution will be noticeable at all. The pixels at 326 dpi (or 401 dpi for the plus) are so small that increases in resolution are hardly noticeable (which is why Steve Jobs called them "retina" displays).

Now that Apple has embraced scaling (i.e. lower resolution apps are scaled up to fit the screen), I think resolution might matter a bit more since more pixels allows the scaling to work better even if you can't see the individual pixels. However, I doubt you will have any complaints.

As far as the LED vs OLED screens, I am not sure that one is better than the other. It is a matter of preference. I think that Apple's screens will probably have truer color while the Samsung might have better contrast. Personally, I prefer Apple's screens.

As far as whether or not you should switch, I think it depends on how much you care about the ecosystems. I wouldn't get hung up on specs as most of them make little difference during normal usage. If you are happy with your Samsung, stay with it.

Personally, I care a lot about the design and feel of my phone (and I never use a case), and that is one reason I have always bought iPhones. Samsung phones feel cheap to me, while Apple's phones feel good in my hand.

4. Vladislav macrumors regular

Iphone 6+ got the same pixel resolution as note 3, which is 1080p full HD for both, so you not going to lose any screen quality, if im correct.

5. GummiBjorn macrumors member

My old Note 2 had a 720p screen. That was on a 5.5" display and it was more than enough. You're getting a higher resolution than 720p on a smaller 4.7" screen. Don't worry about it, it will look great. The phone will also be faster with that resolution instead of 1080p.

6. djake80 macrumors member

I'm switching from the Note 3 to the iPhone 6+ and I can't wait. Screen resolutions are all amazing right now, and I don't care about 4k (yet), so even if one is a bit better than the other it still looks great. I have a Macbook Pro, iPod nano (newest gen), and iPad mini retina, and they just work better than all of their counterparts, and work together seamlessly. I hate playing music on an Android; transferring songs and using iTunes on the iPhone is something I really miss.

I won't miss my horrible signal on my Note 3 (with Verizon; it's a known issue on the Note 3), the CRAZY amount of extra apps on it, and the small time lag between apps. On and the fact they shut down all the time.

I won't miss the SD card usage, but I could see why others would. I'm getting the 64GB model so won't need it anymore.