Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMonkey13

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
Gurnee, Illinois
I currently have a two phone Family Plan with 1000 minutes for $79.99. The only current IPhone Family Plan that is close is 700 minutes for $130. I've read that if you go to ATT store rather than an Apple store you can keep old plan and just add the data charge.

Is this true?

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Yes, you can keep your old data plan. I went on launch day and got my iphone. I was on a 550 family plan and had told them I wanted to upgrade to the 700 minute iphone family plan as I thought that was the only option for iphones now, and would just pay the extra for SMS.
Well, luckily the AT&T guy screwed up my account and I had to call AT&T a few days later when I realized it because I got a better deal.
I was able to go back to a regular family plan of the 700 minutes for $69.99 (2 lines), plus add the $30 data plan and $30 unlimited SMS for the same $129.99 price as the iReady sheets at AT&T stated. So, now I have the family plan to include SMS for the same price as the iphone family plan without SMS.
So, go to an AT&T store and if they give you any problems, just sign up for whatever they say you need to. When you get home, call AT&T directly and change your plan to whatever you want. They will usually prorate it also to the day of purchase..they did for me :)

MacMonkey13

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
Gurnee, Illinois
That's what I thought. So is adding just data to an existing Family Plan for two IPhones $30/month?

Another wrinkle. We received gift certificates for the phones from the Apple store. Since we have to buy the phones there, is the ability to keep the old plan still doable?

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
That's what I thought. So is adding just data to an existing Family Plan for two IPhones $30/month?

Another wrinkle. We received gift certificates for the phones from the Apple store. Since we have to buy the phones there, is the ability to keep the old plan still doable?

I'm not sure about how to buy at Apple since I got mine at AT&T, but as to your first question, its $30 PER phone...so if you are adding TWO iphones, it will be $60 data costs. I have a family plan, but only have one iphone and one regular phone, so I only pay $30 data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.