Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

photogpab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
New MacBook looks beautiful and I've been thinking of selling my iMac for a while now for a laptop. Just wondering if I would notice any significant improvements in speed/performance with the new MacBook vs my old iMac.

My current iMac: 2011 iMac - 27" - 3.1GHz i5 Model with 1TB and 16GB Ram

Its been running a little slow the last year or so. I'm not even sure what I could get for it if I sold it. Or where the best place to sell it is.

Advice is welcomed!

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
The SSD in the MacBook may make it feel faster (faster boot and program load times) but the processor itself is very weak, so if you do anything heavy (particularly video processing would be bad) you would be sorry.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
The SSD in the MacBook may make it feel faster (faster boot and program load times) but the processor itself is very weak, so if you do anything heavy (particularly video processing would be bad) you would be sorry.

This. If you're ok with having a desktop simply put an SSD in your current iMac.

photogpab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010

I don't perform a lot of video editing although I do from time to time... but I do a lot of photo editing (lightroom, photoshop, etc). So I definitely don't want a slower machine that will make these tasks take longer.

At this point I'm looking to upgrade my old machine for something newer and faster and better and not sure where to go.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

Processor in the MacBook isn't that weak, same performance as a 2.4GHz i3-3110M which isn't anything to scoff at for a 1GHz CPU. If you hit the bottleneck with that CPU you're not going to fair much better with a MacBook Air.

Nonetheless I agree with the other posters -- keep the iMac & pop an SSD in it.

photogpab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
I'm wondering what I could get for my iMac. I think I paid $2k for it, but that was three years ago. What would be the best way to sell it? Craigslist?

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I'm wondering what I could get for my iMac. I think I paid $2k for it, but that was three years ago. What would be the best way to sell it? Craigslist?
Expect to get less than $1000 for your iMac.

Personally I would stick with the iMac but if you are dead set to get the MacBook, it's not a bad choice but don't expect the same performance. Might even help (and it would be cheaper) if you simply replaced the hard drive in the iMac with an SSD. Then you probably wouldn't even want the MacBook anymore.

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
Processor in the MacBook isn't that weak, same performance as a 2.4GHz i3-3110M which isn't anything to scoff at for a 1GHz CPU. If you hit the bottleneck with that CPU you're not going to fair much better with a MacBook Air.

Scoff? No, but it's nothing too incredible without the qualifier that it's fanless. I checked the Geekbench numbers and it's about twice as fast as my 2007 MacBook with a 2GHz Core 2. Given an 8 year wait to replace my laptop, that's not much of a bump in processing power. Regardless, I'm a big fan of the no fan and other than the lack of Magsafe, this is exactly what I wanted in every way.

So how about Skylake? Isn't it suppose to be released later this year? I wonder if this won't have a really short first refresh. I wouldn't expect a lot, but something. Also, I wonder if they are ever going to axe the Air line, or if it just means something new now: has a fan as opposed to light.

Sensamic

macrumors 68030
Mar 26, 2010
A 2011 iMac old? Are we crazy?

My 2009 iMac is still super fast, and it only has 4GB RAM. Yours is newer and has 16GB RAM. How is that old or slow?

Anyway, but the MacBook and keep the iMac for more serious work.

photogpab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
A 2011 iMac old? Are we crazy?

My 2009 iMac is still super fast, and it only has 4GB RAM. Yours is newer and has 16GB RAM. How is that old or slow?

Anyway, but the MacBook and keep the iMac for more serious work.

Since I don't have a lot of knowledge with this stuff, can everyone give me advice on how to make my iMac faster? Give it a refresh. Does SSD replace the current hard drive?

And yes the iMac has been running slow as of late. It takes a lot longer to boot up than it used to. Several minutes. And programs lag and freeze all the time. I notice a huge difference from several years ago.

I would be open to upgrading my current iMac, just not sure how.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Ssd

Since I don't have a lot of knowledge with this stuff, can everyone give me advice on how to make my iMac faster? Give it a refresh. Does SSD replace the current hard drive?

And yes the iMac has been running slow as of late. It takes a lot longer to boot up than it used to. Several minutes. And programs lag and freeze all the time. I notice a huge difference from several years ago.

SSD is almost always the best upgrade for any computer. Yours can hold both an SSD and an HDD if I remeber correctly so you can create your own fusion drive.

I would get an apple certified technician to put in an ssd and see how you go.

photogpab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
SSD is almost always the best upgrade for any computer. Yours can hold both an SSD and an HDD if I remeber correctly so you can create your own fusion drive.

I would get an apple certified technician to put in an ssd and see how you go.

So this is going to sound like a really stupid question. My apologies this is all new to me... I am basically replacing the current hard drive on my iMac (1TB) with an SSD version? And SSD is a new type of hard drive that is much faster than whatever my iMac came with (flash?)?

Or do both types of hard drives stay in there? the old and the new SSD?

ball4lyfe

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2011
So this is going to sound like a really stupid question. My apologies this is all new to me... I am basically replacing the current hard drive on my iMac (1TB) with an SSD version? And SSD is a new type of hard drive that is much faster than whatever my iMac came with (flash?)?

I just put in a 256gb Samsung Evo SSD in my 2010 27" iMac i5 2.8ghz as a secondary drive behind the optical drive and oh man, it feels like I'm using something brand new. You could probably get about $900 or less for your iMac and I don't think it'll be worthwhile selling it for that price, as you should really be able to get a few more years out of your current iMac.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Ok no knowledge at all..

SSD's use flash storage and are way faster for just about everything. Your mac can hold two hard drives or you can replace the superdrive with an SSD as well. With as little knowledge as you have I would get a third party apple technician to do any upgrades. If you add a 128gb or 256 to your 1TB HDD you can set it up as a fusion drive and have OSX organise apps and files to where they will be fastest for you.

If you really would like a laptop then the 13 inch rMBP would be able to replace that mac with a bit more power and comes with the flash storage. It is not much more than the macbook either.

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014

Before you do anything drastic first look to improve the current iMac you have.

Your iMac has a 7200 RPM 1 TB HD. Not great but certainly a capable machine for a desktop.

I would first do a CLEAN install of the OS. Save off your files and take note of any programs you currently have that would need to be reinstalled.

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-clean-install-os-x-yosemite-on-your-mac-tutorial/

What everyone else is suggesting about the SSD is true but you want to go with the easiest/cheapest option first to see if you are satisfied.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
New MacBook looks beautiful and I've been thinking of selling my iMac for a while now for a laptop. Just wondering if I would notice any significant improvements in speed/performance with the new MacBook vs my old iMac.

My current iMac: 2011 iMac - 27" - 3.1GHz i5 Model with 1TB and 16GB Ram

Its been running a little slow the last year or so. I'm not even sure what I could get for it if I sold it. Or where the best place to sell it is.

Advice is welcomed!

Your iMac still destroys the new MacBook in performance, the only reason it feels slow is because of Hard Disk drive. If your iMac had an SSD, it would be fine.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area

It sounds to me like your current HD may be dying. That is not normal behavior, and the specs on your iMac should still put it faster than several of the macs currently being sold new (other than HD vs SSD). I'd get your hard drive checked for sure, but even if it's not dying, a new ssd would give you a tremendous performance jump.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
SSD's use flash storage and are way faster for just about everything. Your mac can hold two hard drives or you can replace the superdrive with an SSD as well. With as little knowledge as you have I would get a third party apple technician to do any upgrades. If you add a 128gb or 256 to your 1TB HDD you can set it up as a fusion drive and have OSX organise apps and files to where they will be fastest for you.

If you really would like a laptop then the 13 inch rMBP would be able to replace that mac with a bit more power and comes with the flash storage. It is not much more than the macbook either.

spooky i came on here to ask about fitting a SSD to a 27 inch 2011 iMac, how would i go about it?

would it affect bootcamp?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
spooky i came on here to ask about fitting a SSD to a 27 inch 2011 iMac, how would i go about it?

would it affect bootcamp?

For dual hard drive see this Kit

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/iMac-Intel-27-Inch-Mid-2011-Dual-Hard-Drive-Kit/IF174-002-1

This guide for install

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iMac+Intel+27-Inch+EMC+2429+Dual+Hard+Drive+Kit/7575

If you want to just replace with SSD it won't affact boot camp as long as you clone the whole drive to mive accross.

If you want an SSD and the hard drive with the data doubler kit above it will depend. If you keep them as separate drives and control where things go yourself you can use boot camp on the SSD fine.

If you set it up as a fusion drive boot camp will be on the spinning hard disk only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.