Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paratriplel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Hello.

Basic summary since I can’t keep it short.

bought new iMac now I don’t have buyers remorse but rather feel that the new AS Macs were a lot more impressive than I expected. I had explained to me that it would take years for Apple to catch up to the MBP 16” and the 27” iMac but now it doesn’t seem like that and that we could probably expect powerful machines before next summer.

So I’m looking for clarity or some advice from you guys. I’m not very up to dare with computer tech these days so I’m not sure about what to think of this and my situation. Still have a few days that try the iMac out and I’m not disappointed with it just worried that I make a big mistake by keeping it since it seems Macs are moving in quite quickly and I can wait 4-8 months with getting a new computer and still get along with my hobbies (not using it for work).

This fall I went back and forth in my head for a long time about ordering the 2020 27” iMac due to the news about Apple Silicon from WWDC but decided to go for it and placed an order for the top end i7 with a BTO 1 TB drive and I already had 32 GB of RAM after the purchase of an 2019 iMac that I returned due to fans being quite loud, several crashes etc.

I had hoped that my anxiety I had about this would end if I just made a decision and still I would have the ability to return the iMac if I didn’t like it. Figured it would be easy; kind of like keeping the cake (waiting for AS) but still eating it (for a new Mac).
But I’m telling you that yeah well, it did not end the anxiety, at least not for more than a few weeks.

So I just received my iMac (ordered about a month ago soon) and have tried it out for a few days and I must say I’m a lot more satisfied with this one but have really has time or energy to try it out for real or pushed it.

I was quite impressed with the Apple Silicon Macs introduced a week ago which have gotten me to doubt about keeping the iMac. Feels a bit weird to return it if everything works perfectly fine but not being able to use it as a display later on and the thought about one year from now we’ll most likely look at AS Macs as the current Macs with Intel Macs being looked at as soon to be obsolete computers.

I use my Macs for Music Production and 3D modeling (mostly for 3D prints or to make a drawing of something I’ll be building) and of course some office type of work.

None knows what’s coming nexrbut seeing the computer introduced I believe the next introductions are what they have been working in the the last 1-2 years and that will probably take the AS Macs to even another level higher.

Mostly using Logic Pro X for my music production and the few plugins I use I expect will be native AS soon but I’m not sure of course but then I’ll find an alternative, I have mostly been using hardware except for a few stock plugins and even fewer purchased plugins anyway so I have not any favorites I can’t live without and my instruments are only hardware so as long as the audio interface works in AS I’m fine (I’m actually going to buy a new interface and will of course make sure it works on AS Macs)

3D modeling I’m doing in Autodesk’s Fusion 360 but I’m open to learning other software if I’m having difficulties running it emulated / if it’s not yet native.

What do you think?
Is it wise to return the iMac due to waiting 4-8 months for AS Macs such as either an 16” MacBook Pro or a 27-32” iMac?

Bought a desktop this time due to not feeling the need to be portable but I could absolutely have some use for a portable computer moving between rooms for different type of work but since I had 2 MacBooks Pro already and didn’t want to buy an Intel 16” that sounds like a jet engine as soon as it’s connected to an external display so I went for the iMac and figured the extra power would future proof it and make it quieter.
Maybe that was the right decision and a good idea and maybe I can afford getting the upcoming high end 13” AS MBP in 1-2 and still have the Intel iMac, but serious if the performance in the newly released AS Macs are true (as seen in the Geekbench scores) they actually beat the iMac I’ve got and I do not;
game / need Windows / see exactly what I’d need an Intel iMac for if I keep one of my older 15” MBP around.

My economy isn’t the best right now. Lost my job in the Corona chaos, have a fairly expensive apartment that I’m paying for myself due to my girlfriend felt she wanted to have her own space so I don’t know exactly when I’ll be able to buy a new computer the next time if Corona continues.
I’m not someone that feel I need or really want to have the latest and greatest but it’s kind of important to me that I get the most value out of something I purchase and I guess I’m afraid that the iMac will be a though sell in 1-1,5 years unless I sell it for 50% I’d it’s cost, at least in my country.

I’m not making a living on bag of my own computers even if I’m working, sure a few hundred bucks a year at best but that’s it and I’m fine with it and it’s only my personal computer for my hobbies.

What do you guys think?
Should I keep or return the iMac? I have about a week to try it out some more before the 14 day return period has ended.
The iMac is impressive but I’m not sure I’m that impressed, I could probably manage about a year on my old 2015 MBP if I really try but yeah preferably only ~6 months.

Sorry for the long TS.

Last edited:

Paratriplel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Basic summary.

bought new iMac now I don’t have buyers remorse but rather feel that the new AS Macs were a lot more impressive than I expected. I had explained to me that it would take years for Apple to catch up to the MBP 16” and the 27” iMac but now it doesn’t seem like that and that we could probably expect powerful machines before next summer.

So I’m looking for clarity or some advice from you guys. I’m not very up to dare with computer tech these days so I’m not sure about what to think of this and my situation. Still have a few days that try the iMac out and I’m not disappointed with it just worried that I make a big mistake by keeping it since it seems Macs are moving in quite quickly.

edit. Sorry I double posted what was meant to be an update.

EmmEff

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Ontario, Canada
If you don’t need the iMac now, then return it and wait. As you know, Apple has yet to release ASi-based iMacs and there’s no definitive date. Could be a year from now, probably less (spring 2021).

As with everything tech, if you don’t need it now, don’t buy it now.

Reactions: arefbe

Paratriplel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
I bought due to that the education offer (my AirPods gen 1 battery is extremely bad all of a sudden) was ending and before the purchase I was kind of told that the “7,5W AS Macs”, that was expected, was not going to be nowhere near the performance of the iMac, also I’m not sure I’ll have the regular edu discount when Macs that suit me are introduced so figured I was going to get the iMac and keep it for 1-2 years until the “real ones” where introduced but then I realized that the real ones are, if not already here, here very soon.
After they introduced them I mean.

I know iMacs could be everything from summer to a year from now but I won’t mind getting a MacBook Pro with fairly similar specs as my current iMac when they’re ready, as long as the performance is great and thermal handling works fine.

My needs are not that demanding really.

I don’t like the idea of ordering a new computer when the old one doesn’t turn on, often that means waiting for the new one for 2-6 weeks depending on supply and I’d say I’m in need of a new computer but I sure could hold out a bit longer now that I know it probably isn’t that long but still not certain.
Of course newer is better but if I knew Apple would support the iMac for a long time (5-8 years) and I could resell it 1-2 years from now and get 70% of the value back or if I made that much money through my hobbies through it or wouldn’t be an issue and it would be a bliss to not have to worry or think about it anymore but yeah, I really want to make the right decision here.

I do however guess it’s kind of crazy to buy/keep an iMac if it’s not extremely necessary if your old computer will most probably work for the next 6 months?

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
I am kinda in the same boat as you. However... I do really like the iMac I got. The issue for me with the Apple Silicon iMac are a few... a) Will we be stuck with Apple's overpriced RAM? [My gut says yes.], b) What customization options will there be and how much? [I need a big hard drive] and c) obviously the pricing.
My other reason for sticking with the 2020 iMac is that one of the important points of AS Macs is the improvement on efficiency and it's impact on battery. Obviously with an iMac battery is much less important....

The one thing I think I will really miss out on is the redesign with hopefully much smaller bezels.

Paratriplel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
dizmonk, Yea I’m also worried about overpriced ram because I’m stretching it as it is with my budget for it I’m hoping 16 GB will be standard and that 32 GB will not cost more than 300 US Dollars.
smaller bezels would mean a lot because I’m having a hard time placing my monitors in a efficient way, since I want the iMac to be my main screen but then it feels weird placing my second screen in front of the iMac.
And I’m also expecting that there could be a chance of the new AS iMac to be able to reuse as a second monitor when it becomes too old, through a new target display.

It’s really hard deciding. I also like the iMac I bought this far but worrying a bit too much about the future.
Larger SSD I do think they’ll offer for the “more higher end” AS Macs so even if we do not know I think you can be calm about that, these are just the lower tier base models with 2 ports, I can’t imagine Apple will offer something less than what they offer for the current intel Macs when AS version is introduced.

Have you decided to keep yours then or are you still trying to make that decision?

I wouldn’t mind going for the MacBook Pro if performance is better than what’s now available with throttling since I won’t gain much more by getting more performance but of course a really nice iMac would really be nice if it’s a redesign that might checks most boxes.
I actually started becoming interested in getting an iMac instead of MBP this time because I didn’t want to pay Apple prices for ram, I didn’t want a thermal throttles machine/a machine that doesn’t have good enough thermal handling when ie connecting a external diaplay and of course it feels unnecessary to pay so much as Apple charges for portability when it’s not really a deal breaker.

I would expect Apple to offer something nice instead of better battery for the desktop computers but I only expect that because they all of a sudden seem to have decided to give Macs some love and focus and to even mention desktops in the graph they showed gave me some hope. Hehe. Maybe not the best way to set my expectations but whatever :).

Paratriplel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Something I forgot to mention in all my posts is that I’m really not that much of a tech nerd. So I have a really hard time drawing conclusions myself about Apple Silicon Macs and how much of a leap they will take the Macs forward compared to the last Intel’s. That’s why I felt the need to create this thread and ask you guys about this because I don’t want to make the opposite of the obvious.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Tough call, but I'd say keep it.

The entry level Macs that were released are Rev A. Not to say they won't work perfectly, but we are dealing with an entirely new architecture.

Plus, we don't know when the iMac is going to be released. By the time you're ready to upgrade again in 2-3 years your current 2020 iMac won't be much of a slouch and the Apple SoC iMac will be on Rev C or D, very well refined.

Reactions: EmmEff

Paratriplel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Tough call, but I'd say keep it.

The entry level Macs that were released are Rev A. Not to say they won't work perfectly, but we are dealing with an entirely new architecture.

Plus, we don't know when the iMac is going to be released. By the time you're ready to upgrade again in 2-3 years your current 2020 iMac won't be much of a slouch and the Apple SoC iMac will be on Rev C or D, very well refined.

I guess that what my thoughts were before but seeing the first AS Macs I for a bit of confidence in Apple, I believe they’re making sure to work or most quirks and besides I’m not entirely sure I’ll go for an iMac if the upcoming AS 16” MBP is promising but well.
Things would be a lot easier if I use decided to keep the iMac I’ve now got. Maybe I even could start making some money through my hobbies again I’d I stopped chasing after the future but still I’m very curious about the AS 16” MBP or even the high end 13”/14” MBP.

Why is this so hard to decide on.
But please note that I could have some use for portability.
Just don’t feel like paying as much as Apple has priced them for the amount of performance they offer, due to thermal throttling (especially with an external display connected) etc.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I guess that what my thoughts were before but seeing the first AS Macs I for a bit of confidence in Apple, I believe they’re making sure to work or most quirks and besides I’m not entirely sure I’ll go for an iMac if the upcoming AS 16” MBP is promising but well.
Things would be a lot easier if I use decided to keep the iMac I’ve now got. Maybe I even could start making some money through my hobbies again I’d I stopped chasing after the future but still I’m very curious about the AS 16” MBP or even the high end 13”/14” MBP.

Why is this so hard to decide on.
But please note that I could have some use for portability.
Just don’t feel like paying as much as Apple has priced them for the amount of performance they offer, due to thermal throttling (especially with an external display connected) etc.
It is a tough call. When buying a new Mac (with your own money) you should always want to be on the bleeding edge.

At the same time, if you're using it for work/making money, then consider the software you'll be using. I know apps like Photoshop and Premiere aren't going to be optimized for a while (they aren't really optimized now). That's the only reason I'd say, if applicable, take what you can get now and use it. Then when the new models are released jump in feet first.

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
Sounds to me like you are inflicted with the same bug that got you to buy the new 2020 iMac in the first place. You don't seem to know what you want or need and are relying on some PR pitch to decide for you.

I can guarantee you, that no matter what, whatever they announce today will be replaced with something better tomorrow. It's the nature of their business. To always push things forward.

You say you don't have buyers remorse but everything you have written says that you do.

The M1 is Apple's equivalent of the PPC to INTEL switch years ago. Or the OS9 to OSX switch. It was a major change in their footprint going forward. This is a major change... but you're still at day zero... OSX has been out for a very long time now, as have the INTEL computers. The new architecture isn't going to disappear tomorrow... you have many many years to come to make the transition. Apple would love to see everyone buy these M1s today and then the next ones tomorrow and so on and so forth.

Stick with your iMac and wait out a few years before making the switch. It will be more fleshed out by then and hopefully you will have a better idea as to what you really need.

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
I'm planning on sticking with mine. For me it's the reality of what I have vs. what I might have. I had a Late 2013 Imac which lasted 6+ years and did a great job. I could have milked it another year or two of out it but it was clear it was failing. This 2020 I have is awesome. I'm very happy to save some cash on the RAM. I'm sure that when the AS iMac comes out I will be jealous but for what I need to do... this is great...

I kinda feel it's like buying the last in a vintage line of something. I don't know if that makes sense but my expectation and hope is that if the 2013 lasted 6+ good years, a 2020 Intel iMac should last that long at least.

Good luck with your decision-making... It's a tough one.

Paratriplel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Thanks.

I keep going back and forth but right now keeping it seems like a good idea unless I run into trouble while running it.

I wouldn’t call what I feel buyers remorse, it’s more like a feeling I have not really encountered before. But I guess it’s a few feelings mixed tightly together and a bit of buyers remorse integrated.
If I liked the 27” screen size I would probably not have spent a second thinking about it or if Apple offered a Mac Mini “iMac special”, as in an iMac configuration without the screen included with decent cooling, because really the screen is fantastic but I was totally fine with what I used for my 15” MBP from 2015 and now trying to get used to using that screen side by side with the iMac (I can never find a good setup for dual screen setups).

I’m expecting to go back and forth a few times more and haven’t got the possibility to keep using the iMac for a few days now due to being away but actually feel quite eager to get back to it.

I’m also thinking about calling Apple and see if I can get an extended try period for it, they suggested it last time so maybe it’s possible, I’ll buy some computer from them so it’s not like they’re risking me going somewhere else, hehe.

Only things really tickling me about returning it and waiting for the next releases are that I probably will manage fine with the power of the 16” and I for some reason seem to be really excited about the portability, mostly due to that I have my iMac in the studio and it would be nice to use it where ever I wish and bring it away for a weekend once in a blue moon etc but I won’t need portability and last 2 years I didn’t think I even wanted it anymore. Not a big deal. It’s a bedroom studio but without the bedroom and instead it’s a dedicated room full of synthesizers and other instruments. Nice for music work but less inspiring for 3D modeling or coding (yes I used to do some light coding in the early days of the iPhone but I stopped years ago and have started to think about / trying to learning it again, especially now when I have some time to).
But yeah really I could probably manage with my old MBP for portability and use the iMac for all power tasks and just get a new MacBook in a few years when the new platform has “matured” and stabilize.

One thing that speaks against new M1 Macs are that I read people in the audio industry wasn’t that impressed with its performance and audio is my main reason for getting a new computer.

Again, thanks for all your input. It really makes me a bit calmer. It’s hard to decide on keeping or returning when you believe everyone will call you an idiot for the decision of keeping the old platform when new platform shows so much progress.

TheJuice89

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2020
Keep the iMac. To easy your mind a bit more: I waited for Apple Sillicon to drop and decided to go for the 2020 iMac anyway.

The M1 has an awesome price/quality-ratio, no doubt about that. It's also particularly fast and smooth when it comes to video editing. But it's not on the same level as high-end macs like the latest i7 and i9 iMacs, especially not for music production. When you're running Logic Pro and using only stock plugins, an M1 would handle that just fine, but the i7 and i9 will perform better. The difference is relatively small when using only stock plugins, but becomes pretty big fast (like factor 2-3) when third party plugins are getting involved.

Check out the comparisons this guy on Youtube is doing, really helpful:

Just enjoy your great iMac, sell it in a year or two and then get the real badass Apple Sillicon in an new iMac or MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.