Keep or Return rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jboyd1829, Sep 14, 2013.

1. jboyd1829 macrumors newbie

I know there have been other posts such as this but I was looking for a bit extra information from those using the Mavericks beta currently.

I purchased a 13 inch rMBP from Best Buy and have used it for about a month now. I really like the computer and it honestly does pretty much everything I want it to. Occasional slow downs on things with lots of videos/ads but it does a good job. Battery honestly does well for me as it is predominantly used at home and on weekend trips. Only minor complaint I have is the performance during gaming but I have a desktop computer for that. I chose the 13" for the price and also I simply prefer the form factor vs. the 15".

Question I have for those using Mavericks now is how the 13" rMBP performance is. I have heard (just random posts here) that it appears to fix a few common complaints such as scrolling on webpages and such. If this seems to have fixed the majority of those issues, would you recommend me returning and waiting to see if October releases new MBPs or keep using the purchase I'm happy with?

I did get mine during the Best Buy sale for $1400 for the 256 GB version so I honestly don't know how low refub retina prices will go after next version is released.

Thanks in advance for replies.

2. AaronM5670 macrumors 6502a

AaronM5670

The Haswell rMBP will have basically the same amount of raw power as your Ivy Bridge model; however Mavericks will most likely be better optimsed for Haswell once it is eventually released in the new models.

If you are happy with your computer and you can see it lasting, considering your fairly basic sounding needs, for 3, 4, 5+ years as it undoubtedly should, then I see no reason to return it, especially as you could then be left without a computer for 1.5 months or more - if this is a problem for you.

Another thing with Haswell/Mavericks is better graphics performance, but from your usage I can't see much use for this improvement unless the type of work you're going to do will change significantly.

Also, the SSD speeds will improve with new technology (PCIe), but again, I don't really think you'd need it.

One thing is that the new models might be cheaper as Haswell has been around for a little while now and Apple will have improved the yields on its Retina Displays and other components as the rMBP form factor is now over a year old.

If you're in the US (I'm not, UK), the cheapest refurbished rMBP 13" I can find on the Online Store is $1249.00, with the 2.5GHz chip, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD and Intel HD Graphics 4000.

You say you paid $150 more than that for yours. Other than the 256GB drive you mentioned, what are the specs of your machine compared to the one I found?

Also, how long do you have to return it for a full refund?

I hope this helps! :)

3. jboyd1829 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mine is the 2.6 Ghz i5, 8 GB, 256 GB SSD, and Intel 4000. Essentially the one step upgrade across the board. I do live in US and price I paid was $1411.97 including tax. Initial price was $1314. I have until 9/26 to return it for full refund if I so choose.

I'm very mixed on the matter. As someone who does enjoy PC gaming I like the idea of having something I could use to play games on while on weekend trips, but I know that is much more of a convenience and not really all that necessary. However, realistically I'm never going to want to choose to use my MBP to game any time I'm at home, especially with next gen consoles coming out too.

Other question in my mind is that if I did return my MBP and the new ones are released, is apple going to start price point at the decreased price that the 13" rMBPs dropped to or go back up to higher price that they launched at. No way anyone can really predict that unfortunately.

4. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Yours is a 2013 model and a great deal for that model/year; I recently bought a 2012 2.5/8/256gb for my daughter through Amazon open box deals and paid $1152, no tax!. The one I got had all the accessories and original box, absolutely mint and only 10 cycles on the battery. I registered it and the warranty started on March of this year, so apparently was purchased and shortly after returned.

If you want to save some cash for a future purchase, I suggest you consider this deal, which is roughly $250-300 less than what you got off BestBuy.