Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Do you keep your stock RAM or trade it in when you order more RAM for your Mac Pro. The 2.8 octo that I'm ordering comes with 2x1GB sticks. I will likely be adding 8gigs (4x2GB). OWC offers a trade-in value of $32.50 for my 2x1GB RAM sticks. The only reason I could see that is worth keeping the stock RAM is if anything goes wrong and you need to bring it into apple for repairs - they typically as you to send it with the stock RAM (ie, as close to stock config as you can).

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
Do you keep your stock RAM or trade it in when you order more RAM for your Mac Pro. The 2.8 octo that I'm ordering comes with 2x1GB sticks. I will likely be adding 8gigs (4x2GB). OWC offers a trade-in value of $32.50 for my 2x1GB RAM sticks. The only reason I could see that is worth keeping the stock RAM is if anything goes wrong and you need to bring it into apple for repairs - they typically as you to send it with the stock RAM (ie, as close to stock config as you can).

Exactly why I've kept mine.

surflordca

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
Ontario, Canada

I not only kept mine, I use it. I have 10gigs of ram.

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
Keep it to install if you have to take it in for warranty or AppleCare repair. That way they can't say, "It's that there third party memory that's causing yer problem."

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Yh. that's a great point, if you have a Mac Pro, surely you can fit in the extra sticks right? If not, keep just in case, I'd say.

That depends on which Mac Pro you're talking about. I have an 8 core machine coming, and I have 6 sticks of 2GB memory coming from OWC. Benchmark testing has proven that installing memory in multiples of 3 is the sweet spot for the new machines. Using the old memory would only add 2GB to the total installed in the machine, so I strongly doubt I will use it.

Once the new memory is installed and tested, it is unlikely to fail, so I will probably sell the old memory. I have installed 3rd party memory in each of my laptops and have never been denied warranty coverage because of it. Of course, memory has never yet been the cause of the failure, either.

Fomaphone

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2009
my understanding is that as long as you install third-party RAM produced to apple's specifications, and don't try to put in something that shouldn't be in there, RAM installation won't void your apple care access... it just means that your RAM won't be covered by apple care. in my view, if i was having an issue with a computer, i wouldn't want to change the configuration to get the problem fixed and then change it back to how it was before the problem.

also, if the problem is that there third party RAM. OWC's memory comes with a lifetime warranty and their excellent no questions asked RMA process that I've used in the past.

edit: by the way, if you choose not to send in your apple RAM, transintl's price is $10 lower than OWC's for 6x2gb sticks, and it also comes with a lifetime warranty (but i don't know if it's advance replacement like OWC or if you have to deal with added lag time of sending it in. moot i guess if you're hanging on to the old RAM anyway)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.