Keep or wait until the Summer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TomxHow, Dec 26, 2009.

  1. TomxHow macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2009
    #1
    Hey there guys,

    I was given an iPhone 3GS for christmas and have not yet opened it (don't worry, just going to return for a different colour).

    However, I was wondering if I should cancel the contract and wait until the summer for the next generation iPhone.

    I am just looking for your opinions on this, should I keep the phone and enjoy it or wait until the summer...?

    Many thanks in advance.
     
  2. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

    ouimetnick

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2008
    Location:
    Beverly, Massachusetts
    #2
    Keep in mind the iPhone 3GS is only half way through its life until the next iPhone. Its been 6 months. We have 6 more to go. I think we will see some major hardware changes, on the inside and outside this time around. But you can always sell it right before WWDC 2010, and use that money, and buy the next one. I would buy now, If its my 1st iPhone. I have an Original, and iPhone 3G, so I would wait until July or June. But if its your first, jump right on in.
     
  3. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

    Vandam500

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2008
    #3
    Look. The new iPhone is most likely going to be released in June. That means that you will be waiting for 6 months. Thats a long time so what you should do is rather simple and is what I did with my 3G:

    1- Keep your 3GS until end of May and sell it. (You can easily get $400-$500 for it.)

    2- Use a another phone until the new iPhone comes out.

    3- Purchase the new iPhone with the money you made of your old one. (It will most likely cost the same as the 3GS since it won't make sense if they increased the price).

    4-It'll cost you $399 for the early upgrade or $499 for the more expensive one.

    5- Head to the Apple or AT&T store and buy it:) (Will also extend your contract but whatever)

    6- Have fun and enjoy:D
     
  4. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

    lemonademaker

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2009
    Location:
    In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    #4

    x2 buy now, enjoy the heck out of it, you won't regret it, then just sell it and upgrade to the next gen in June-ish! (you'll thanks us, i'd say by next week if you make this choice)
     
  5. nfl46 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2008
    #5
    This is what I always do:
    1- Keep your 3GS until end of May and sell it. (You can easily get $400-$500 for it.)

    I usually have to pay $399 for the new iPhone...early upgrade price. I'm not leaving AT&T anytime soon, I don't care about the extra 2 years being added to my contract. I always make a profit, b/c I typically get the upwards of $400 for my iPhone.
     
  6. TomxHow thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2009
    #6
    I am with O2 in the UK and if I am going to keep the 3GS I would keep it for 2 years or so and not upgrade this summer. The option is keeping with my regular phone plus iPod Touch until the summer and then get the iPhone, or use this one and not plan on upgrading every year as I am pretty sure that O2 don't offer the same thing as AT&T do.
     
  7. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

    koobcamuk

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2006
    #7
    You're right - we have to pay off the remainder of the contract (i.e. £35x how many months remaining + cost of new phone) i.e. if you start now on a 24 month £35 contract, you would use 5 months til May, so that 19 left which is £665 you would have to pay to O2 in one go to leave the contract - then you can start a new one and buy the new iPhone (for £200?) so that's around £850! :(
     
  8. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

    ajohnson253

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2008
    #8
    Use it, when the new one comes around and you want that. Sell it, for 4-500 like others have said on here. Why hold out for 6 months, put that thing to use!!!! :D
     
  9. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2008
    #9
    Thinking about the long term you have two options, assuming a 2yr refresh period
    1) sell it now, have
    -6 months with an old iPhone
    -a year with the latest iPhone
    -6 months with an old iPhone
    2)keep it now, have
    -6 months with the latest
    -18 months with an old iPhone
     

Share This Page