Keep original 2G iPhone or upgrade to 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PaulS1964, Jun 11, 2009.

  1. PaulS1964 macrumors newbie

    Jun 11, 2009
    I have the original 8gb 2G iPhone I got on day 1. I love the phone, but space is a little cramped. I am driving myself crazy wether I should keep it and wait for next years iPhone and possibly another carrier or upgrade to the 3Gs and sign on with AT&T for 2 more years and possibly not be able to upgrade to the next iPhone?

    What should I do?

    16gb or 32gb?

  2. Sealevel macrumors newbie


    May 26, 2005
    Belleair, Florida, USA
    You should buy the new iPhone 3Gs. 16gb or 32gb whatever you want!
  3. mathewr macrumors 6502

    Sep 14, 2007
    im in the same situation but i think its time to upgrade. im going to get 32gbs just not sure of the color yet. why couldnt they have just stuck with the same design as the original.
  4. mak10 macrumors regular

    Feb 6, 2009
    I'm upgrading from my original 2G iPhone to the 3G S. I didn't upgrade when the 3G came out because 3G and GPS didn't seem worth the updgrade, but even faster 3G, more computing power, better camera, more space, video, etc makes this one seem well worth it.
  5. joefro macrumors member

    Dec 26, 2008
    The upgrade is well worth it to me. I also have a 2G 8GB iPhone and I didn't see the need to buy the 3G last year just for GPS, 3G and new casing. I think the 3G S is a worthy successor to the iPhone 2G.
  6. AsianChexMix macrumors regular

    Apr 9, 2009
    This was my thought process as well. 2G to 3G was not that big of a difference. 3G to 3GS seems like a better update so 2G to 3GS is going to be a huge step forward. I am also running low on memory and thought 16GB would fill up fast so purchased 32GB so I don't have to worry about it. 8 more days! :D
  7. rayward macrumors 68000

    Mar 13, 2007
    Houston, TX
    I've been holding out for 32GB. The fact that it's a 3G s is just gravy. Already pre-ordered from Apple. I think a new iPhone every two years is fine - especially as we get the software updates for free.
  8. PmattF macrumors member

    Dec 28, 2006
    Don't forget to take into consideration that your data plan cost goes up by $15/month as well. I.e. $20 for data plus 200 text messages, to $30 plus $5 for the 200 text messages. And note that if you are already paying the $10 for the 1500 texts with the original plan, that addition goes to $15 for the new phone. So either way it is an increase of $15/month.

    I decided to go for it myself, and am upgrading my first gen iPhone to the 32 gig.
  9. Xenious macrumors 6502a

    Mar 22, 2004
    Texas, USA
    2G to 32g (white) for me. Too much of an improvement to pass up even if i will miss my aluminum back.
  10. lokey macrumors regular


    Jul 3, 2003
    I got my iPhone 2G on day one also, and I think I'm just going to keep it. I could upgrade but like a few posters have said, my data plan gets more expensive and to be honest I don't use it that much since I'm usually near WiFi. I think the biggest thing I feel like I'm missing out on is the GPS, but that has been true since the 3G came out.

    I'm staying OG, for now.
  11. mikeyiphone macrumors regular

    Jun 10, 2009
    This is the big obstacle in my way of buying the 3GS. Like everyone else here I am currently a 2G user because i didn't think the 3G was that big of an upgrade.

    I'm also worried that the iPhone may jump ship to Verizon next year, which according to my prior experience with them, have amazing services.

    I mean 300 for the phone, 180 for the extra data for the year(I have wifi access in most places i go and im happy with my current plan) makes it an extra 500 dollars for the year. Is that really worth it?? What about the next upgrade will it have front facing camera, even better camera/ recording quality, HD Oled screen etc, Verizon service? Then what i get stuck paying full retail for that phone.

    Oh man decisions lol
  12. chox99 macrumors regular

    Sep 3, 2008
    I'm sticking with my 2G. I'll upgrade when I can't run apps/games or new model have better screen with HD video camera.(I might have to wait forever:rolleyes:)
  13. TomInOregon macrumors newbie

    Nov 24, 2008
    I'm largely in the same boat as some of the others. I may stick with the original iphone since I don't even get 3G coverage at home. I get it at work, but I'm at work, not using my phone. If I could get the new phone but stay on 2G with 2G pricing, I would do it. If I have to pay for 3G that I can't use, I might wait until AT&T builds out their towers some more. I have 4 2G iphones on my account, so an upgrade would cost an additional $60 per month for very little or no added benefit.
  14. iObama macrumors 6502a


    Nov 16, 2008
    I'm upgrading. My 2G is getting a little slow, it has a cracked screen, and dents on the sides. I skipped the iPhone 3G last year since I didn't want to renew a 2-year contract for such a little upgrade.

    In addition, I have a separate iPod for my ~22GB music library, so it'll be nice to hold everything on one device. Video recording, tap to focus, voice navigation, and the sheer speed of the thing pushed me over the edge to my decision. :D
  15. mikeyiphone macrumors regular

    Jun 10, 2009
    My 2G is starting to breakdown a little bit too. My sleep button doesn't work, the screen blacks out once a month, I am sure the battery will start fading at a rapid pace any moment now.

    I would love to get the new phone and continue the 2G service.
  16. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040


    Sep 16, 2007
    The jump from 2G to 3GS will be significant and worth it. If you want to keep waiting you'll never stop.
  17. biblicalfury macrumors member

    Mar 31, 2007
    I have an original 4gb and I think I'm going to upgrade to the 32gb 3GS. Storage space has become a big issue the more and more I use apps. I do hate to pay the increased monthly fee (EDGE is slow, but good enough for a phone), but I think it's time.

    I'll probably wait until the rush of folks trying to get it on the first few days wears down and I can hear a few reviews before I make the final decision.
  18. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

    Jun 3, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I upgraded. I think it is worth it. Besides, next year you can just sell the one you got to upgrade again if you want to. These phones hold value well enough. My BF sold his 8GB 3G for $350 and then paid $540 to upgrade to the 32GB. So he really only paid $190 for the 3GS!
  19. TomInOregon macrumors newbie

    Nov 24, 2008
    Good point on waiting for reviews. That's one of the other reasons I'm on the fence. I remember the 3G's teething issues. I'm also wondering if the GPS apps will really be freed up to work properly or if that was lip service. A fully-functional GPS app with turn-by-turn directions is the primary reason for me to upgrade. I'm not sure how accurate the GPS is in these phones.
  20. ksz macrumors 68000

    Oct 28, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I too have an iPhone 2G, but I ordered the new 32GB model on the day of announcement. As for AT&T's pricing plan, I opted out of SMS text messages (rarely use them) so it's only $10 extra per month. However, my company has a Foundation Account Number (FAN) with AT&T and I just registered. This might save me $10 per month, thereby resulting in $0 increase over the original iPhone plan!
  21. ayasinsk macrumors regular

    Apr 29, 2008
    I still got my original iPhone 2G 8gb, got it day one as well. In the past 2 years haven't had any problems with it at all. What I really want to get is Palm Pre. Really like their multy tasking and web os and notification system. Don't care about apps. However don't want to pay $70 for a phone bill anymore. So once my contract is up here in couple of weeks I'll just get a tmobile go phone sim card and use that with skype on my unlocked iPhone. Really Want that pre though!!!!!
  22. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

    Mar 18, 2008
    I too have been holding out, with my 8gb 2G. I was waiting on 32gb and real turn-by-turn so it's finally time. And thank god, i dont think i can stand edge any longer
  23. Cloudane macrumors 68000


    Aug 6, 2007
    Sweet Apple Acres
    There's nothing wrong with the 2G really. You have to ask yourself whether you can justify the hefty upgrade cost for the GPS, better camera, 3G support etc.

    But it's less of a dilemma than 3G->3GS - you get 2 phone generations' worth of upgrades, and the 2G is starting to lose out on certain features, like MMS, to force you to upgrade.
  24. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a


    Mar 4, 2007
    Got my 8GB Edge iPhone sometime after the price drop (in Dec-07); been with Cingular/AT&T or over 6 years and have never had a subsidized phone from them (previously always bought unlocked GSM hones--which can get spendy). Anyways, I think I'm gonna hold off on updating. I think paying an $18 upgrade fee is robbery, I currently live in an area with no 3G (Edge/voice is even sketchy at times), and I don't want to pay an additional $10/month for data I won't use (also the additional $5/month for 200 texts).

    I want the new phone, but it just doesn't seem compelling enough TO ME. A plastic back that may have the same issues with cracking as the 3G? No thanks, that just gives me another (albeit, minor) reason to not upgrade. I'll likely wait until 2010, or until I move (hopefully soon) to an area with 3G where I'd actually justify the data expense increase.
  25. mikeyiphone macrumors regular

    Jun 10, 2009
    Really what is an upgrade fee ? What justifies them charging 18 dollars?

    I remember when a new customer or if a contract was up all that garbage would get wiped out just cause they wanted your buisness.

    This iPhone is in such demand that people will basically pay anything for it. I mean im trying to convince myself right now to go out and get it lol

    I do have a gift card of 200 dollars which i received from apple cause of the 100 refund they gave out back on 2G. I hope it didn't expire.

Share This Page