Keep Parallels running all the time?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 3bs, Jul 10, 2012.

1. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Does anyone keep Parallels running on all the time? I just started using it for Windows 7. Are there any negatives to this if I don't have anything open in Windows? I am using a mid 2012 11" MBA with top specs (i7, 8GB RAM) and it would be nice if I could have Windows on all the time as a Fullscreen app.

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

That's the whole point of letting it open your Windows apps in OS X with the coherence feature. :) But sure, it should be fine in fullscreen with that 8GB you have. I've done it before on my MBP.

3. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

I was very impressed with the coherence feature and Parallels in general but I prefer having it in a mission control space of it's own.

When I set it up I used my boot camp partition. It said that I'd have to activate Windows again. Does that mean I can only use this version of Windows on either Parallels or Boot camp? I'm using an OEM System Builder Pack of W7 and I think that's supposed to be only installed on one machine and I read that using VM's like Parallels makes it seem like I'm using another machine.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I have no idea. When I tried it with boot camp, I used it on my other Mac and that was when they were having issues with the partition getting corrupted, so I haven't gone that route since then.

Couldn't you just deactivate it in boot camp then go back and re-activate?

5. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

I'll give it a try. If it keeps running smoothly in Parallels maybe I'll get rid of boot camp altogether since I probably won't be needing the full resources for anything I'll be using Windows for.

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

If you have a machine with dual-graphics (MacBook Pro) I would recommend against it because merely having Parallels open is sufficient to force OS X to always use discrete graphics... But with an Air, you've only got the one GPU anyway. It will use a small amount of RAM, but not enough to worry about except under the heaviest of loads.

7. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

Is RAM the only thing I should be concerned about?

8. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Again, unless you're on a dual-graphics system where you are concerned about keeping the graphics on internal; yeah. It will use a few cycles of CPU, too, but not enough to be even remotely worrying.

9. 3bs, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012

3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

Another question. The Function keys don't seem to be working. They were a while ago but now they won't work. I tried rebooting but they won't work in boot camp but work in Parallels.

Edit: repairing the drivers seems to have fixed it.