iPad Keep pdfs on iPad

nightowl66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Ohio
I have a 2018 iPad software version 12.4.1. I have a bunch of pdfs, instructions for various things. I went on a trip where I had no internet access and needed to look at one of them. When I tried to open it, it was in my icloud so I couldn't get to it. I got home and downloaded them only to find them deleted again. How do I keep them on my ipad?

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
One simple way would be to use a Dropbox account and any pdf’s that you want for offline viewing download and then choose “Make Available Offline”

nightowl66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Ohio
If I turn off iCloud and put them on my iPad will they stay there? I don't need cloud storage. I just turned it on as a backup.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
I store PDFs on my iPad in Notability so I can make notes on them. iBooks is free and is good for reading PDFs.

nightowl66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Ohio
Regular iPad.
I think I will turn off icloud/drive and put them back in books. I don't have multiple devices that i need to sync.

RevTEG

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I annotate and store all my PDF’s with PDF Expert. They store local on the iPad but you can also put them in an iCloud folder. As someone else mentioned, Goodreader is also a great choice. I‘ve also used Apple Books without any issues. I just prefer PDF Expert.