Keep Powerbook or go G5?

Idioteque

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2005
50
0
Hey guys,
I am a college senior and a multimedia and Radio/TV major. Right now I have a 1 ghz 80 gig 768 ram powerbook. I only have about 15 gigs free on it right now and am running tiger.

My question is should I upgrade to a G5 or just add another 512 ram and get an external HD. With this Intel deal happening should I wait till the new generation of g5's arrive and make due with my pb.

Thanks
john
 

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
1,821
0
Just boost the RAM and get a external HD,, if you change to a G5 it will cost you money and you will loose the portability of your powerbook..

ShadOW :cool:
 

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
2,872
0
Idioteque said:
Hey guys,
I am a college senior and a multimedia and Radio/TV major. Right now I have a 1 ghz 80 gig 768 ram powerbook. I only have about 15 gigs free on it right now and am running tiger.

My question is should I upgrade to a G5 or just add another 512 ram and get an external HD. With this Intel deal happening should I wait till the new generation of g5's arrive and make due with my pb.

Thanks
john
depends if you need portability and what application you are running.
 

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
619
0
Idioteque-

If you can get your hands on a refurb dual 1.8 or 2.0 with 768 or + RAM, you won't have as much remorse if YOU feel the intel switch will impact the way you produce your work. In 2007 sometime, your career might lead you to being able to afford a new Intel machine if you really need it. Don't be scared of the future switch, I don't see it affecting anyone as much as the hype claims.

The only thing that would hurt would be not having the new system right away for myself!

Keep the PB as your sidekick.

Cheers.
 

kant

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2004
337
0
Idioteque said:
Hey guys,
I am a college senior and a multimedia and Radio/TV major. Right now I have a 1 ghz 80 gig 768 ram powerbook. I only have about 15 gigs free on it right now and am running tiger.

My question is should I upgrade to a G5 or just add another 512 ram and get an external HD. With this Intel deal happening should I wait till the new generation of g5's arrive and make due with my pb.

Thanks
john
Get the G5.

Now, how much for the PB?

:cool:
 

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
605
8
Orange County, CA
i think pb + ram + ext hd is much better choice for now. your pb is still current, and i believe you can get at least 1 more year of use out of it. the ext hd will help you out a lot if you use it as a scratch/storage disk.

i think it's worthwhile waiting for now, is there a program you are thinking of running that you feel your current pb cannot handle?
 

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
791
0
New Haven, CT
Manzana said:
i think pb + ram + ext hd is much better choice for now. your pb is still current, and i believe you can get at least 1 more year of use out of it. the ext hd will help you out a lot if you use it as a scratch/storage disk.

i think it's worthwhile waiting for now, is there a program you are thinking of running that you feel your current pb cannot handle?
Agree, keep the pb and add RAM and Ext HD. Unless, $$ is not a problem for you...