keep private files secure on a MBP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Junk DNA, May 31, 2009.

1. Junk DNA macrumors regular

Junk DNA

I have a group of docs on my MBP that contain private stuff - bank a/c details etc...

Now I keep those files in an encrypted sparse disk image and I'm reasonably confident that if my MBP is stolen they won't be able to access that disk image.

But this just occurred to me: when I open those files in Pages is there a temp copy of the file save somewhere outside of the sparse disk image that could be found ???

I really don't want to use file vault to encrypt the whole disk but I do want to be sure those private files won't get accessed.

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I'd recommend using an app called Cocktail. It will clean out any of the stuff you're worried about.

3. Junk DNA thread starter macrumors regular

Junk DNA

Yes, I can see the sense in that - but then I would have to run it after every time I access my private files....

4. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Why ? Are you concerned you MPB would be stolen while you use it ?

5. Junk DNA thread starter macrumors regular

Junk DNA

I tend to access these files once a day - so presumably if they are leaving temp copies outside the sparse file then they are doing that whenever I open them.

So, if I run Cocktail now and clean the files away, but then tomorrow morning I open the files I'd be back to square one

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I don't think Cocktail securely erases the files, so it'd be easy to recover them.

Filevault is OK, most programs store temporary files in your home folder. Some don't though, and there are temporary files and logs hidden in the computers UNIX directories. Your RAM sleep image is stored unencrypted. If you really need security, whole disk encryption is best.

7. Junk DNA thread starter macrumors regular

Junk DNA

hmm... maybe I should give filevault a try....

8. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

Filevault is not whole disk encryption - it's only home directory encryption. You need third-party software like PGP's Whole Disk Encryption or CheckPoint if you want WDE.

I use PGP and have no problems with it.

9. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

PGP is the best for whole disk encryption at the moment. Won't work if you have a Windows partition, though.

Shame Truecrypt can't do system partitions on OS X at the moment.

10. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

11. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

A lot of compression programs use weak encryption algorithms, not sure about Rarify.

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

You're probably right. I'm not using it (rar) to store any sensitive info I just need it to neatly contain some stuff.

OP: http://www.truecrypt.org/

13. applesuper macrumors member