Keep router from showing in Finder

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
I'm not sure if this is the right forum but here goes...

I just got a Cisco E4200v1 router...it has the capability to share a usb hard drive though it. I'm not using that functionality as a I have a dedicated NAS (synology).

However the Cisco shows up in the finder...I assume from its ability to share a drive. I'd like to turn that off...so it doesn't show in the Finder, I don't see any setting in the router's admin panel to do this.

Is it possible?

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
In the Finder click on the eject button, and it will be gone.
Also check in System Settings, in your user account if it is showing up in Login items and remove it from there.

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
In the Finder click on the eject button, and it will be gone.
Also check in System Settings, in your user account if it is showing up in Login items and remove it from there.
It's not mounted.

There isn't actually any disk attached to the router. It's showing in the finder under the "Shared" section. I'm on 10.8.5 by the way.

----------

I wouldn't mind getting rid of the other one under shared (the string of numbers) - that's the wireless printer.

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
^^Yes but doing that will also remove the share that I want - the NAS - Diskstation412.

Perhaps its not possible.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
I have the same issue with a WiFi printer showing up in Network with an unfriendly name (3830e7000000) and listed as a PC!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
That is a really interesting problem. I do not see why it shows up, but I have seen some Linksys routers do the same. Maybe someone else knows…

:apple: Altemose :apple:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Try enabling and disabling the media server. However, before you apply delete the name for the server. Then click save settings.

Give it a try.

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Try enabling and disabling the media server. However, before you apply delete the name for the server. Then click save settings.

Give it a try.

I just enabled/disabled, but it won't let the name be blank....still shows up in finder. :confused:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
You have a pesky little router there. The best I can say to you is to go to Finder --> Preferences --> Sidebar and uncheck Bonjour Computers. This will give you a "All" list in Shared which you must click to see all network shares. This is kind of annoying but at least makes it a little less cluttered. :cool:

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
You have a pesky little router there. The best I can say to you is to go to Finder --> Preferences --> Sidebar and uncheck Bonjour Computers. This will give you a "All" list in Shared which you must click to see all network shares. This is kind of annoying but at least makes it a little less cluttered. :cool:
Does seem odd...nonetheless thanks for the help!

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Are there any options in there to disable CIFS/SMB/NFS/AFP?
That's what I was originally looking for but none that I could find. That's why I went in and turned off a. The "servers" thinking they were just named weird... But still no luck.

sliceoftoast

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2012
In a Toaster
Have you come across anything called uPnP ? Turn that off see if that makes a difference. If you click on the device in the finder does it bring up a connect as or list anything in the finder window?

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Have you come across anything called uPnP ? Turn that off see if that makes a difference. If you click on the device in the finder does it bring up a connect as or list anything in the finder window?
I'm try this tonight... But I think I already have.

Yeah when I click on it it tries to connect, then fails, then gives me the connect as option. Trying connect as with the routers admin id and password fails as well... I have no other id or password for it.

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
I'm try this tonight... But I think I already have.

Yeah when I click on it it tries to connect, then fails, then gives me the connect as option. Trying connect as with the routers admin id and password fails as well... I have no other id or password for it.
The upnp is what cisco calls the media server...so yeah we turned that off as noted earlier in the thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.