Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allisonv7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
I've been wondering if there's any way to keep a program out of the dock when it's running? I prefer to keep my dock as small as possible and with a couple programs that I run constantly (stickies, adium) I dont really need an icon in the dock.

Is there a fix/tweak for this?

Thanks!

allison.

orangemacapple

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Raleigh
I've been wondering if there's any way to keep a program out of the dock when it's running? I prefer to keep my dock as small as possible and with a couple programs that I run constantly (stickies, adium) I dont really need an icon in the dock.

Thanks!

allison.

i had the same problem. i solved it by taking out the apps i use less frequently and putting aliases for them into a folder and putting the folder in the dock.

Irish Dave

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2006
The Emerald Isle

Thanks!

allison.

Hi Allison,
Not that I know off ..... sorry :(

Greets from Ireland

Dave :)

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
only two options i can think of are to do the folder idea, which seems like a last resort or to use dock hiding and hide the whole thing.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
There's an app called Dockless that can do this. I haven't used it, and it hasn't been updated in a long time, but I have heard of people having success with it.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
i had the same problem. i solved it by taking out the apps i use less frequently and putting aliases for them into a folder and putting the folder in the dock.

The nice thing about doing that is you can icon-ize your folder so that you know that it has those utilities/programs in it... I might do that, create aliases for my photos, music, web, messengers, developer tools, utilities, and that, I have like 54 icons in my dock.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005

But this doesn't solve the problem of having them in the Dock while they're running, which is what the OP is asking about.

I have my Applications folder in my Dock, so I have quick access to everything. (But I'm getting so many apps now that I may have to pare it down a bit and go with the "aliases of selected apps" route.)

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
I use dockless to keep the icon for Hardware Growler out of the dock and it has worked great for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.