Keep Texts/Notes/Contacts Setting up as new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by wiivile, Nov 2, 2014.

1. wiivile macrumors regular

I haven't set up my iPhone as a new iPhone in over 2 years, and since it's running pretty slugishly after upgrading to iOS 7 and then iOS 8, I think I need to wipe it clean and set it up as a new iPhone. However, when doing this, how do I keep my texts, notes, and contacts? I can't lose these. (I've already backed up Camera Roll).

When setting up as a new iPhone, will App Data be re-downloaded when I redownload the Apps, or will the Apps have no data saved?

2. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

i figured when you backed up that it saved your text/notes as far as contacts icloud does that for you

3. wiivile thread starter macrumors regular

But when you set up as a new iPhone, don't you lose everything?

4. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

you do a backup first though and go through the steps of setting it up as a new phone and then do a restore

5. wiivile thread starter macrumors regular

How is that any different from doing a restore from the outset, though, when it asks you to set up as a new iPhone?

6. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

how else are you going to get them on the phone? your putting them on the phone once you reset the phone anyway..I may be confused as to what your doing. You can always pick and choose what you restore as well

Maybe this will help not for sure:http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/03/06/how-to-back-up-restore-sms-messages/#ibackupbot

7. wiivile thread starter macrumors regular

8. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

It will ask in iTunes

9. wiivile thread starter macrumors regular

When restoring from a backup in iTunes, it doesn't ask me what I want to restore, it just restores the whole backup...

10. XT550 macrumors regular

XT550

As far as the apps go when restoring like new, you'll lose everything you had saved.

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

You don't, ANTAWNM26 either didn't understand the question or is just plain wrong. iTunes lets you choose syncing photos, music, etc. And if you're not using iCloud for contacts / notes then it'll let you choose to sync those or not. Texts though, no options.

For contacts and notes, turn on icloud sycing and use that. When you set up as new they'll flow back down from iCloud. As for texts, no supported way to migrate those when doing a setup as new. I believe there are third party tools that you can use on your computer to extract text/imessage history from a backup, but I don't know if they'll let you then insert them onto another phone. (as I don't keep text histories I've never concerned myself with that)