Keep the iPad 2 question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tl01, Mar 22, 2011.

1. tl01 macrumors 65816

So I found an iPad 2 at Target today. They got a midday shipment.. all 32 GB black 3G verizon. I really want a 32GB wifi. The employee mentioned that it is returnable for 90 days even if I open it. I don't want the 3G b/c I am getting a mifi to use with this and my other iPad. Would you use it until you could get the one you want? I feel a little guilty doing it but I have lined up 4 times and was given false info once where I would have gotten one but the Apple employee made a mistake. I have two young kids and it is pretty hard to line up over and over again.

2. dru106 macrumors member

I'm on the same boat! I bought a 32gb wifi black but I want the 64gb black AT&T! I still have it unopened but wanna use it till I get the one I want

3. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

So you bought an iPad 2 even though its not the one you wanted and now you are thinking about using it and just returning it? Why did you even buy it at all? I dont get people that do that...Im looking for a 16gb wifi and had the chance to buy a 3g but didnt. I passed...im still waiting for the one i want...

4. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

Maybe we have a need for it in the interim. I haven't made my final choice... it's still sealed so it can be returned once I'm sure.

5. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

I honestly dont think you should have even bought it if its not even the one you wanted and you already have an ipad to hold you over. I think the emotions of finally finding one, even if its not the one you wanted, took over you. You made an emotionally based decision. I would just return it. I bet theres someone out there right now thats looking for this exact model in your area that would appreciate it A LOT more.

6. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

The other iPad is not mine to use.

7. dru106 macrumors member

I bought just in case I were to find someone with the model I want and trade with the price difference

8. treebark7182 macrumors member

I dont really see the problem. Its a lot more nobel then trying to charge someone a huge markup on CL. I'm using a 32gb black that I was lucky enough to find at a Target and I'm still waiting for my reserve at BB to come in for my 64gb. I intend on returning the other one to target. Its their policy why not take advantage??

9. mwulf67 macrumors regular

Because it’s a return policy, not a rental policy…and the reason why you shouldn’t take advantage of it is a moral/ethical one…but then again, I am sure you already knew the answer to your question….yes, you’re more noble then a scalper…not a really a high bar to clear...

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I had the opportunity to get various models iPad2 on two occasions and passed them up because they didn't have the one I wanted. You could get the iPad now and sell it on craigslist as a used item--you'll probably get all your money back. Then turn around and get the one you want.

11. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

If everything about it is what you want except the Verizon 3G, why not keep it? There may come a time in the future when your mifi is not around and you just want to sign up for a quick months worth of 3G.

12. Ichneumon macrumors member

+1

13. treebark7182 macrumors member

I didn't create the massive shortage and with rumor mills going like they do around here I wasn't sure if i'd be waiting for 6-8 weeks. I took advantage of a situation. My fiance wanted the 32gb and when I was hunting for ours jointly and came across 2 32's and so I bit. I'm happy with the 32 and if BB doesnt call in the next few days I'll be going on vacation for a couple weeks and surely will miss my reserve. I'd never buy something I wouldnt be comfortable keeping but I really do want higher capacity. Considering all the shinanigans this launch, this is really nothing.

14. Selfdestrukt macrumors member

didnt find the one you wanted but found one...

keep and sealed and sell it while you wait to find the one you want

make a few bucks in the meantime haha

15. MBPLurker macrumors member

+1

I'm going to throw out a wild guess that Target shortens their return policy on iPads to 14 days in the near future. Constant, unnecessary returns are the reason electronics return policies are so short and why stores like BB are starting to require driver's licenses for each return.

16. mwulf67 macrumors regular

You asked a question, I gave you an answer…nobody is asking you to justify your actions…no offence, but we could really care less…you asked a bunch of strangers on the internet to evaluate your actions…don’t get all butt-hurt or high and mighty because you don’t like the evaluation…

17. treebark7182 macrumors member

Lol I'm not the original poster. I was answering with my own personal experience. No reason to make a fuss.

18. mwulf67 macrumors regular

No fuss, and I know you're not the OP...the OP raised the question as to whether one should knowingly buy and use an ipad they never intended to keep and whether one should feel "guilty" in doing so...clearly, we are oppose ends of that question...