Keep the Mac Pro and ACD or go 17" Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wingzero1285, Feb 27, 2011.

1. wingzero1285 macrumors member

I currently run a 2010 Mac Pro base model and a 27" ACD. Lately I feel like this machine is overkill. In fact, I felt this way for the beginning. I originally purchased it for the idea of upgrading it. I realize now that actual parts are scarce. For example, I have one choice to upgrade the GPU to... Thats sort of silly. The room for 4 disk and other pci cards is great. But other than replacing the GPU I don't see myself adding anything else pci. As far as storage, I have never really had more than 200gb at a time. Storage is not a concern.

I basically use my Mac Pro to surf the web, itunes, email, etc. and play wow and a few other games. I rarely boot in to windows and I typically never do anything demanding (photography or video). The only intensive task I do is convert flac to apple lossless.

I like to always have my computer, and at times I am without it when I travel to my girlfriends house for a few days. Typically it would be 75% used on a desk and 25% on the go.

I am starting to think that selling the display and the pro and going 17" is my best option.

My only concern is if it will overheat when playing wow for hours on end?

I enjoy the cool operation of the Mac Pro and the ability to add disks and a new GPU, but how frequently will that happen considering my usage habits and the lack of actual upgradable GPU's?

Anyone with the 17" 2011 model want to give me some feedback?

edit - I also want to mention I was intending on keeping my setup for as long as possible. I am concerned about high temps on the macbook pro (although I had one back in 07 that was nice, pre unibody).

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Not sure why you'd consider the 17" and not the 15", particularly if you use the 27" ACD and don't use that extra real estate on the go. I'd say perhaps the 13" but gaming sounds important to you.

It won't overheat.

3. wingzero1285 thread starter macrumors member

4. Manacit macrumors member

Manacit

I would go with the 15", when you're at home you can use your ACD, and on the go you have something more portable than the 17". The 17 and 15 are just as powerful as eachother, so gaming should be as great on both.

Overheating really shouldn't be much of a problem, I wouldn't worry.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

o

my mistake. 17" should do nicely.

6. wingzero1285 thread starter macrumors member

Its ok. I figured I would lose a bit on the pro. I had an iMac but removing the display to change an HD was too annoying. Decisions...

7. wingzero1285 thread starter macrumors member

Any 17" Macbook Pro users out there want to comment on WoW performance and temps?

8. egbokalaka macrumors newbie

My Early 20011 15" MBP Overheats

My 2.2Ghz quad core early 2011 15" MBP locks up when playing WoW. I've determined it's because the core temperature reaches 100C. That is caused by a failure of the system to ramp up the fans appropriately. If I run smcFanControl at the default settings, it is more aggressive with the fans, avoiding the lock ups.

There may be other reasons why the temperature is getting out of hand in the first place, but the fact that software can work around the problem gives me hope that a software fix can be developed. In the meantime, I'm going to exchange this one, since it has run so hot. I'm not willing to give up WoW, so I'll just run smcFanControl all the time on the new one :)

I can't comment on WoW performance because the lockups happened much more frequently when I cranked the graphics up. Resetting the graphics to normal reduced the frequency of the lock ups but did not eliminate them.

9. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

I would keep what you have and get a MBP or MBP Air when traveling. I only have the 24" which is big enough, but better if it was 27" Doing anything is better on the 27. :) If you needed space then perhaps down size to a 17" but for under 2k you can have best of both worlds.

10. TheHoff, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

TheHoff macrumors 6502

Sorry but the guy above as a bigger issue if WoW is overheating > 100

I don't play; I just booted it up out of curiousity. I was getting 65+fps on high, and 25 fps on ultra, everything cranked. This was in noob undead land. The heat was as expected for a 3D game after a while; about 85 on the CPU. The machine was still comfortable enough to hold.

I have my fans dialed down to the lowest possible curve with Fan Control, too.

11. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

It also depends on the screen size you want when you're away from a desk. If it didn't matter then I'd suggest keeping the Mac Pro and buying an 11 or 13" MBA. That would be the best bet money wise I'd guess.

You won't beat the Mac Pro as a base station, and if you plan to use the 17" MBP as a base station as well as a portable machine plugging and unplugging cables repeatedly gets boring.

I've seen people dump their desktop to have a portable machine ... they replace it with a tank of a notebook and then can't be bothered to move it from their desk, the weight, plugging/unplugging from a display, peripherals etc it detracts from the portable experience.