Keep the MBA or wait for possible update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ilikewhey, May 14, 2014.

  1. ilikewhey macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 14, 2014
    #1
    hello guys, new here, i'm sitting here with a dilemina that i have been debating in my head for the last couple of days and its driving me a little insane, i like couple others have recently purchased the 2013 13inch mba from bestbuy with a educational discount, with a grand total of $816 after tax, however now that i have the mba its been sitting in its box unopened for the last couple of days.

    since i start to dig into some research i realize the MBA might have another update soon enough, and this is a major bump imo, although the 12 hour battery is really really good, the possible use of the IGZO technology for the next possible update couple see another major increase in battery life, since i read IGZO uses 2/3 less energy than normal screens.

    do you guys think i should wait it out or just stick with the 12 hours of battery and call it a day? i dont really need it THAT urgently but at the same time i could use a laptop that doesnt need a power plug everywhere i go.
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
  3. ilikewhey thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 14, 2014
    #3
    i would enjoy it if i didnt know a major update is right around the corner, if its faster processor or something i wouldn't be bother, but from what i heard IGZO could transform the MBA into a all day and night usage.

    this is a laptop that i'm going to be using for the next 4-5 years. i dont want to keep it simply for convenient sake
     
  4. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2012
    #4
    It just got an update. Further update won't be until near the end of the year at best imho.
     
  5. SDColorado macrumors 65816

    SDColorado

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2011
    Location:
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    #5
    Apart from death and taxes, the one thing that's certain in this life is that there will always be speculation about the next updates from Apple and whether you should wait for it.

    I would enjoy the one you have now. Otherwise you are going to be waiting a long time to find out whether or not the rumors are even true. :)
     
  6. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

    Beachguy

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2011
    #6
    There's always a newer, faster, spiffier update coming. And if you wait for it, you'll find out another new one will be coming if you waited a bit longer.

    Enjoy the one you have. While you wait for the next thing, you don't have one to use if you return it.
     
  7. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

    Knowimagination

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2010
    #7
    I am in the same position, but I have accepted that even if they announce something at WWDC (which I personally don't think they will) I would still end up spending a few hundred more than I did with the best buy deal. Ultimately for the money I paid I am extremely happy with my MBA and I am guessing we are 6-12 months from a major overhaul on the MBA line.
     
  8. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    #8
    Keep it. There will most likely not be an update to the MBA this June. October release is much more likely.

    Matt
     
  9. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

    Pharmscott

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2011
    Location:
    Sacramento, CA
    #9
    Perfect! We do not know that a major update is right around the corner so you can indeed enjoy your MBA.
     
  10. calvol macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
    #10
    Wait, or you'll be sorreeeeeeee!
     
  11. ilikewhey thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 14, 2014
    #11
    thanks guys for all the comments.

    so i decide to trade the air with my mom's 13inch mbp, i don't really need a fast laptop since all i do is type on it and shes complaining the mbp is too heavy.

    so i guess i'll hold onto the this old mbp until the air gets the IGZO and the next chip shrink cpu. hopefully by then the air will really have a all day and night battery. cheers guys!
     
  12. SDColorado macrumors 65816

    SDColorado

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2011
    Location:
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    #12
    Of course rumor sites are what they are and nothing is substantiated, but it sounds like the MBP may likely get the IGZO displays before the MBA anyway. The MBA already has a good battery life, it is the pro's that could benefit most from a boost.

    But you have to take all of those rumor mills with a grain of salt.
     
  13. 2IS macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2011
    #13
    I can't help but think the OP is extremely bored when making this post...

    A dilemma? Driving you insane? Seriously? Keep my MBA or upgrade to something that doesn't exist? That's the dilemma driving you insane?

    Unless you have a time-machine, you don't have a choice and thus... No dilemma and no reason to go insane.

    :rolleyes:
     
  14. ilikewhey thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 14, 2014
    #14
    not bored just buyer's remorse. i dont have much to spend so i would like to get it right in terms of purchasing something that i would be using for the next half a decade, for example i'm still using first gen i7(bloomfield) for my pc and the first unibody aluminum macbook back in 2009.
     
  15. MacGeekAZ macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2011
    #15
    If you have a computer already that you're happy with, return the MBA and wait to see if you like the new one better, whenever it comes out. If your current computer isn't meeting your needs, open the MBA and enjoy it. When the new one comes out, if you really must have it, sell your MBA and buy the newest one. It's just that there will always be new computers. I have a 2013 13" MBA with the i7 processor and 512GB hard drive. I love it!!
     
  16. mtneer macrumors 68020

    mtneer

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2012
    #16
    I think the next jump in battery life that would get me to take notice is when it jumps from hours to days or maybe even a couple of weeks. Otherwise, sure, 16 hours is better than 12 hours, but will that make a big enough difference to change my workflow - no. I would still need a charge every day or every other work day.
     

Share This Page