Keep the mini or upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jht, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Jht macrumors member

Lo all, I got a 1.66 CD mini, superdrive, 512 ram and 80gb at the moment, got it for xmas. At first it was really good, don't get me wrong I still think its great but its starting to lag behind at times, for example I'm just starting to get into photoography, I use iphoto at the moment and thats becoming a hassle to work with, keep getting the swirly thing and just generally sluggish with all my photos, other programs I use also act pretty sluggish and I'm starting to think the mini might be a little underpowered for my needs.

Anyways I get paid in a couple of weeks and I'm thinking should I sell the mini on ebay (with :apple: keyboard, mouse and a really nice philips monitor) and then put some cash in as well and buy either a refurb iMac (maybe macbook?) or get one from the education store. I've thought about putting more ram in but I really can't be bothered with the hassle of all that and would be much happier with a new machine, I'm really not sure if I should though, for example if I bought another machine new, I would only go for the cheapest but then upgrade the ram. Any thoughts :)

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Mo' RAM. That's what's holding your machine back. 512MB is really the very lowest you should consider running OSX, especially if you're running any Rosetta apps.

1GB will help out enormously, 2GB even more so. The 1.66GHz Core Duo is a great little machine but that 512MB of RAM is choking it. Once you double or quadruple that RAM it'll be like a brand new machine.

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Totally agree, I spec'd mine with the 2GB of RAM and it flies - such a powerful machine for something so tiny. Add more RAM if you can.

4. AVID macrumors member

AVID

Even 1GB is at times quite inadequate on my flatmate's computer.

5. andrewag macrumors 6502

iPhoto has always been a bit sluggish but what others have suggested (adding more RAM) is probably the cheapest way to improve performance. Don't forget the RAM is also shared with the video card so you have less than 512mb RAM to the OS and applications.