Keep the new or upgrade the old?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by medheadfs, Jan 27, 2014.

1. medheadfs macrumors newbie

medheadfs

Hi,

I'm seeking advice about a predicament I have. I currently use a late 2010 MacBook Pro 13", 500GB, 4gb RAM Intel core 2 duo. Apart for some minor hardware glitches, it's working fine. But through University this year, I acquired a 2013 Macbook Air 11" 126gb.

Because I already have an ipad mini, I'm finding I don't need both laptops. However, I can't decide which I should sell on.

I have approximately 50gb in my itunes library and 70gb in aperture library which is the main reason I didn't move everything over to my newer, faster macbook air. However I'm really falling for the swiftness of the flash storage as my 500gb hardrive on the pro is becoming sluggish.

I was hoping someone could advise me whether it would be a better decision to keep the pro and use money from air sale to upgrade the HD to a faster SSD +/- more RAM, or to keep the Air and store my itunes/aperture libraries on external/networked drives. Portability isn't a massive issue as I have the ipad mini for that.

2. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

I would keep the 15 inch if you like it and need the space - replace the drive either with a large ssd if you're feeling flush, or replace the optical drive - move your hdd into that, and put a small ssd in the hard drive bay. That will give the machine a huge lease of life - it will be snappy!
    Not quite as fast as the air, I would think, but on the other hand, my 2010 mbp with ssd feels about the same in normal usage as my 2012 air.

I'm assuming you're essentially using the mbp as a desktop replacement, not carrying it everywhere. Of course if you're seduced by the size of the air, you might be able to upgrade the drive a little bit, but I don't think that's going to be cost effective. Personally I hate the Christmas Tree approach to the airs / rMBPs.

3. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Could you sell both machines and get a 13" rMBP? It seems to be the best of both worlds (in terms of what you're looking for) ;). The 256gb drive is a good size for my sizable iTunes music and movie collection and other files.

But if that's not an option, then consider what will be the most cost effective and convenient. A 2010 MBP is not a bad machine, and an SSD and 8gb RAM will make it feel less sluggish. I find carrying around external drives to be a PITA. But if this is early in your college career, you may want to consider a newer machine that will last through graduation. I got my new rMBP because I couldn't keep tempting fate with my mid-2009 that my papers would still be there when I went to turn them in.

4. medheadfs thread starter macrumors newbie

medheadfs

I did think of that too, but wondered would I be better to just upgrade my current Pro as I don't have much need for the retina display. Also I don't think the sale of both my current machines would be enough for the 256gb rMBP :/

----------

This is kind of what I'm leaning towards. If I could afford it, what I'd really want is a souped up iMac with fusion. Very intrigued by your upgrade suggestion... is that easily done? I'm not new to macs but i've never attempted any upgrade work... I wouldn't even know where to start. Do I need to know dimensions/brands/SATA that are compatible? :)

5. disasterdrone, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014

disasterdrone macrumors 6502

It's easy if you have a little technical savvy. iFixit has a very detailed guide and instructions on what drives work.
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2010+Dual+Hard+Drive/11763

6. medheadfs thread starter macrumors newbie

medheadfs

7. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

You're very welcome - let us know how it turns out.