Keep the rMBP or buy the iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by andreyush, Nov 13, 2016.

1. andreyush, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016

andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

Hi !

I own a rMBP mid-2012 and I have the opportunity to sell it and to buy a Late 2013 21.5" iMac (8gb ram, 1TB HDD i5 2.7 quad-core) . I work mostly in Logic Pro and I want to ask you guys if it's worth to make this change.

I want a bigger screen and I could buy a monitor for this macbook but I am afraid that some day the dGPU will fail because this model has problems with the dGPU (or staingate ). It's a model with a lot of issues and I don't want to spend the money on stupid repairs.

I want to ask you guys if Late-2013 iMac has big issues like rMBP 2012 has ( gpu failure or screen issues that could ruin everything).

Keep the rMBP or buy the iMac?

Thanks !

2. iAVERY macrumors member

The iMac doesn't even have an SSD. That is going to perform poorly. Not to mention it will wear out after 4-5 years. I say find a monitor that is around the same resolution as your MacBook pro and call it a day

3. andreyush, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016

andreyush thread starter macrumors 6502

andreyush

I wanted to ask you if it's that hard and risky to install a SSD into the iMac or can I buy an external ssd for the OS ?. I could easly buy a new monitor for my macbook but I am afraid that someday my logic board will fail because of the dGPU :/.

4. apfelmann macrumors 6502

when you are so afraid of hardware failures, you should buy new apple hardware with apple care. keep it 3 years, then sell and buy new again. I think many users do it like that, but I'm too lazy to sell my stuff ...

5. andreyush thread starter macrumors 6502

andreyush

Because it's not normal. I want to buy a device and I want to use it more than 3 years. I know that nothing is perfect but some Apple products have some real issues. I would keep very happy this macbook but it has so many posibilities of breaking :/ and the repair is pretty expensive.

6. ndolebay macrumors member

ndolebay

I will sell the macbook pro 2012, and buy an iMac 27 inch or new rmbp 15 inch+ 4k monitor.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP asked:
    "Keep the rMBP or buy the iMac?"

Answer:
    Keep the rMBP AND buy the iMac.

Why not keep both?

8. andreyush thread starter macrumors 6502

andreyush

Because if I don't sell the macbook I don't have the money for the iMac :).