Keep, Trade or buy AppleCare

dotzero123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
I purchased a NIB 2017 MBA from a 3rd party seller almost 1 year ago. I looked into AppleCare for the computer and it would cost more than 1/3 of the price that I bought the laptop for (was a good Black Friday sale.)

I'm hesitant to put out so much money for a laptop as a "just in case" especially since it wasn't a huge investment.

MBA works fine - have had 0 issues and it meets my needs.

Should I just keep it and chance it, trade up to a better model or bite the bullet and buy $250 Apple Care?

I know that this has been discussed ad nauseam but really am stuck on a decision.

chscag

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I have always purchased Apple Care for my Apple products but I can well understand your hesitancy. I guess you will have to decide that if repairs are needed in the future, that you can afford the expense out of pocket. A portable Mac is generally more susceptible to needing repairs than a desktop model because if its mobility. But if you're a careful user, you can get many years from your MBA without needing repairs.

Reactions: dotzero123

dotzero123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
Thank you! I don't travel with it too often and imagine that even AppleCare won't cover me for stupidity like spilling coffee on it. Do you find that MBA's typically hang in there for a few years or is there an estimated lifecycle?

chscag

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Thank you! I don't travel with it too often and imagine that even AppleCare won't cover me for stupidity like spilling coffee on it. Do you find that MBA's typically hang in there for a few years or is there an estimated lifecycle?
Actually, the MBA generally has a very good record of holding up. Since you have the latest model, you should be okay. Just enjoy it and don't worry about it. And like we were told when working in the computer room - "No food or drinks allowed". LOL.

bodonnell202

macrumors 65832
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I've always bought Apple Care for my Apple products and I've literally never had to use it. I'd be so much further ahead at this point and I think I may stop buying it going forward (of course the first product I don't buy it for will be the first one I actually need it for, Murphy's Law).

Reactions: dotzero123
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.